Source for Spruce guitar bracewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonT

New User
Jon
Hi folks, I'm looking for a source of Spruce billets -- Sitka, Engleman, and/or Adirondack/Red, preferably split and unsawn -- for making guitar top & back braces. I'd like to find approx 20 bd ft. I have some testing to do with various bracing patterns and I'd like to find enough to complete the testing last a few years.

I've had no luck searching online -- only finding pre-cut sticks for individual braces. Any ideas??

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I got a bunch of Sitka from Aircraft Spruce in Corona, CA. for tops when I was near there for work a few months ago. Their Bargain Bag on this page is a great deal: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/spruce.html They let me hand pick this box of nice cutoffs from their pile and cut them to my mark (I caught them at a slow time). The Bargain Bag packages were selected more for length than clarity but would work fine for brace stock.
Spruce_001.jpg

Spruce_002.jpg

They have an East Coast store near Atlanta.
Have you checked the Kilndried 2X8, 2X10, 2X12 stock at Lowes and HD? Some of those are perfectly quartered and can be hand split to get the straight grain sections. Check Chris Paulick's great Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiUkKNwjzf4

JonT

New User
Jon
Thanks a million! That bargain box from Aircraft Spruce looks ideal -- I'll call them.
And no, I wasn't aware the home improvement stores stocked spruce so I'll check that out, too. Much appreciated.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The Borg Kiln Dried lumber will be labeled KD S/P/F (Spruce, Pine, Fir) Most of it is Spruce.

JonT

New User
Jon
An update on my search for brace wood stock.

I poked around the Lowe's hardware store, ordered 2 sticks of "AAA+ grade Sitka Spruce" from Grizzly (as part of a much larger order), and ordered the "bargain box" from Aircraft Spruce out of Atlanta, GA.

Here's the results:

Re:the wood stacks at Lowes. Not much was suitable so I only came away with a few Q/S 2x1" boards and a 4x1. I have yet to split them so no idea of the run-out, but it was only a buck or two each.

The Grizzly "AAA+" bracewood I received is worthless. Seriously, it's not good for anything other than the fireplace or for whittling. First stick is approx. 35 rings per inch but the grain runs at approx 40 degrees off from vertical! The second stick was approx 7 rings per inch with the grain running "only" about 20 degrees off axis. I can't believe how two sticks which are so completely different could both be graded the same. But AAA+? No way. It was $4.50/stick, so no huge loss, but a disappointment. If they can't grade wood any better than that, I know I'll never order wood from them again.

Finally, the "bargain box" from Aircraft Spruce was about $50, delivered and it is wonderful! I sorted out the perfectly quarter-sawn wood from the rest. It's a big box, and about 20% is perfectly QS, so plenty for my needs. And the remaining wood, while not quite good enough for braces is also super. (Not quite as nice as that bearclaw that Tarhead came away with, but still beautiful wood. I'll find a use.)

So thanks everybody for the recommendations!! Much appreciated.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Glad to hear that the Aircraft Spruce bargain box worked out. I'll be going within 2 miles of their Corona store in a few weeks and plan on stopping for another box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors