Source for rough cut pressure treated lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvin1989

New User
Calvin
My son will be starting on his Eagle Scout project later this month. He's building a wooden bicycle bridge over a small creek at a local county park. The park has asked that the decking for the bridge be made from rough cut pressure treated 2x4's. Apparently, the rough cut lumber provides better traction for the bicycles when it gets damp. I've never purchased any rough cut lumber before, but it's obviously not something we can just run up to the local Lowes or Home Depot and buy. Does anyone know of a source for rough cut pressure treated lumber in the central North Carolina area? Thanks in advance for the help.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The big box stores are unlikely to stock such, but there are many non-stock items they can order for delivery if you require a reasonable volume of such, which I would imagine you should if building a pedestrian bridge. You just have to go to their contractor's desk to inquire about such. You can also try some of the smaller building supply outfits, many of which can also place special orders for you.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I seem to recall Ivey talking about getting his own SYP pressure treated, Copper, Chromium, and Arsenic (CCA) at one point in time. You may want to check with him.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Can't help with a source of lumber, but I wonder where they got the idea that rough-cut lumber is required. As a cyclist who's crossed many of the wooden decked bridges on trails in the Triangle, I don't recall that any of them are decked with rough-cut lumber. I haven't gotten on my knees for closer observation, but I think I would have noticed. With the amount of bike, runner, and pedestrian traffic on some of these bridges, I think rough would get smooth pretty quickly. On the other hand, PT pine should check with time and get "rougher". Entropy always wins.

About traction: I'd say that wet wood is about the same as wet asphalt. If the wood gets slimy with algae or develops a layer of frost it could be treacherous, but rough would be no different than smooth then.

Good luck to your son on his Eagle project. I did mine so long ago but I still remember how rewarding it was.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try C.M. Tucker Lumber Company in Pageland, SC. They may sell retail, but they treat lumber and sell all sorts of it in truckloads to big box stores and independent lumber yards throughout the south.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Kudos to your son for starting his Eagle Scout project. :icon_cheers

I think that "pressure treated" and "pressure treated rough cut wood" are synonymous. Here's a potential source in Morrisville.

http://tarheelwoodtreating.com/index.html

The orientation of the 2 x 4s on the crossover bridge may affect whether it's slippery/not slippery for a bicycle tire.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Don't know what the plan looks like but rough cut 2x will require 20d nails. They only sell 20d cement coated nails in the borgs, no zinc coated. Keep that in mind in your design, 20d cc nails will rust in a heartbeat exposed to the weather and the chemicals contained in CCA lumber won't help one bit with fastener corrosion either.

Not saying this is the best deal out there... you can find 20d zinc coated nails out there but they are expensive... Like 47.00 a lb which only like 12 nails :eek
https://jet.com/product/detail/ebb3...44cee45bff2f&gclid=CNuHpJf_wsgCFQULaQodRDYI9A

Don't forget your 28oz waffle head hammer to beat those bad boys down.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-28...r-with-Shock-Reduction-Grip-E3-28SM/100013465

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Can't help with a source of lumber, but I wonder where they got the idea that rough-cut lumber is required. As a cyclist who's crossed many of the wooden decked bridges on trails in the Triangle, I don't recall that any of them are decked with rough-cut lumber. I haven't gotten on my knees for closer observation, but I think I would have noticed. With the amount of bike, runner, and pedestrian traffic on some of these bridges, I think rough would get smooth pretty quickly. On the other hand, PT pine should check with time and get "rougher". Entropy always wins.

About traction: I'd say that wet wood is about the same as wet asphalt. If the wood gets slimy with algae or develops a layer of frost it could be treacherous, but rough would be no different than smooth then.

Good luck to your son on his Eagle project. I did mine so long ago but I still remember how rewarding it was.
Oh so your one of guys that scare the living bejesus out of me riding a bike on the white line of major thoroughfares then? I pinch my butt cheeks together every time I have to pass one of you guys only because several years ago I witnessed a bicycle rider get hit by a car trying to pass. Be safe out there OK? Seems very dangerous...

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Oh so your one of guys that scare the living bejesus out of me riding a bike on the white line of major thoroughfares then? I pinch my butt cheeks together every time I have to pass one of you guys only because several years ago I witnessed a bicycle rider get hit by a car trying to pass. Be safe out there OK? Seems very dangerous...

Not me, Jeff. I stick to side streets and trails for the most part. Some of the folks out there give me the shivers with where and how they are riding. OTOH, I scratch my head a lot about how some folks drive, too.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Not me, Jeff. I stick to side streets and trails for the most part. Some of the folks out there give me the shivers with where and how they are riding. OTOH, I scratch my head a lot about how some folks drive, too.
At a boy - just be safe man... It was pretty gruesome what I witnessed and your right a lot people drive like they are on crack or...

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
My son will be starting on his Eagle Scout project later this month. He's building a wooden bicycle bridge over a small creek at a local county park. The park has asked that the decking for the bridge be made from rough cut pressure treated 2x4's. Apparently, the rough cut lumber provides better traction for the bicycles when it gets damp. I've never purchased any rough cut lumber before, but it's obviously not something we can just run up to the local Lowes or Home Depot and buy. Does anyone know of a source for rough cut pressure treated lumber in the central North Carolina area? Thanks in advance for the help.

Check with General Timbers in Sanford NC. They should have it n stock.

Scott

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Rip treated 4x4's down the middle, cut side up.

For most members that would best be done on the bandsaw (which would have the added advantage of a rougher cut any how). It takes a 12", or larger, tablesaw to rip a 4x4 in a single pass. But it would yield two boards nearly the size of a 2x4 (they will be a bit thicker), so it is certainly an option.

It can be done on a 10" tablesaw with two passes, but I would not want to have to process very many such boards that way as it requires a good deal of accuracy to avoid irregularities between the two cuts and there is a potential for elevated risk of kickback when ripping long boards (especially if there are internal stresses), particularly with two passes (use a splitter or riving knife to help reduce the risk).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS