Source for practice bowl blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I need a lot of practice turning bowls before I end up with something that will not be destined for a fire pit. I picked up a few of the economy blanks during my last trip to Klingspor, but even that is a little bit more expensive than I'd like to pay to practice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I realize firewood will have turnable pieces, but I'm not really sure what to look for and I don't have a fireplace to use the non-keepers.

Rob

New User
Rob
For practice, any wood would do. Keep an eye out for someone in the area cutting down a tree and grab a couple or 5 logs. For practice, the type of wood isn't important. I've got several logs just from driving between home and work.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any neighbors have a fireplace and wood pile? Just about any hardwood but locally I would look for maple, sweetgum, or beech. You can try the dump in Cary off of Dixon Street. In the back they have a place for people to dump logs, branches, brush and other yard waste.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I am using scrap 2 x 4's , 2 x 6's etc that I had. The borg's usually have a scrap bin of cutoffs or stuff that got stained (water) etc. Might be able to find stuff in there.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I am using scrap 2 x 4's , 2 x 6's etc that I had. The borg's usually have a scrap bin of cutoffs or stuff that got stained (water) etc. Might be able to find stuff in there.
I tried that and it wasn't very enjoyable to turn. The wood was very dry and brittle.

klfelkins

New User
Kristy
I have some apple, pecan, and there is always red oak around I'd be willing to share some:) If you wanted to come by at some point you would have to cut your own blanks but we'd be glad to do our best to help you with that. We should have everything you need to do it.
pm or e-mail me if your interested
Happy turning :)
Kristy

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Try contacting CB Burls https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/member.php?u=4573, Chris is a member here with a great supply a turning wood, he'll do right by you. If you are looking for fast and easy blanks that are kind of local to you then I suggest Klingspor in Raleigh because they are much cheaper than Woodcraft for better blanks.

Good Luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS