Soundproofing Wooden Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
My wife and I live in a log home which has wooden floors, walls and ceilings; it is wonderful. However, all that wood transmits sound exceeding well. So well that there is no sound privacy between our bedroom and the guest bedroom. We would like to soundproof the two adjoining walls. Any suggestions?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
lots of options here but all but one will require panels installed on the wood wall

a. Install sound reading drywall - best on both sides - runs about $2 sqft - commercial sheetrock dealers only

b. install sound absorption panels - some are just foam, other are fabric covered panels. 3M makes a great product

c. install remote controlled white noise generator - simple install and they work great

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Not sure what sound reading drywall is but we were ready to have Quiet Rock (couldn't find any one in Moore County who installed it or had even heard of it) installed until I spoke with with a company representative who said it would not work on wooden wall, i.e. solid wood on both sides of wooden studs and she said I would need to hang MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and cover it with regular drywall. Went to a MLV site and that said I needed to decouple ???? the wall. Never talked with anyone there.
I like the sound (no pun) of sound reading wall. What is it?

gmakra

New User
George
Sound and vibration are very closely related and you want to absorb vibrations and sound, Phil has some good ideas and you could toss around some large throw rugs, curtains anything that will absorb sound not reflect it.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure what sound reading drywall is but we were ready to have Quiet Rock (couldn't find any one in Moore County who installed it or had even heard of it) installed until I spoke with with a company representative who said it would not work on wooden wall, i.e. solid wood on both sides of wooden studs and she said I would need to hang MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and cover it with regular drywall. Went to a MLV site and that said I needed to decouple ???? the wall. Never talked with anyone there.
I like the sound (no pun) of sound reading wall. What is it?

Sorry, I meant to type sound deadening drywall, which I think is called Quiet Rock. You could decouple by installing 1 1/2 blue foam and then Quiet Rock. Installation is easy

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If you are considering wall hangings how about some large quilts? Given the type of house you are describing and a wall between bedroons it just seems like a natural option that your wife might like.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Not sure how the wooden diffusers would work and what kind of wood would work best, but for sure the one shown would be a challenge to dust.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Not sure how the wooden diffusers would work and what kind of wood would work best, but for sure the one shown would be a challenge to dust.
As opposed to absorptive strategies, diffusers break up reflective sound waves by time shifting or redirecting sound wave propagation. In sum you get many small waves in different directions as opposed to one big reflected wave.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
you may consider covering the wall with automotive carpet over foam insulation. That carpet is easily vacuumed. A neutral color makes a great background for display.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS