Sound system..?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Do you have sound in your shop? If so ...what kind?

I will have dedicated sound in mine but the choices these days leave me somewhat confused.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Yep. Old 70s stile reciever with a 200 disk player and 2 large BIC speakers. Put it in a cabinet to keep the dust manageable and thin cloth over speaker fronts. Short money, big sound.

Phil S

Board of Directors, President
Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Denon amp w/bluetooth to 250 albums on my iPhone. Front speakers are AR and Sony in the rear. Great sound.
But often, if I am running machinery I will use my Bose noise-cancelling headphones also on Bluetooth to my iPhone - even better sound

tvrgeek

tvrgeek
User
Right now, a Sony table radio, but I am recycling things that were in the old house. Kenwood tuner, Creek amp and some of my own speakers. I might see if if I can get a BT box to link with my music server.

junquecol

Bruce
User
AM /FM stereo receiver, with outside antenna. Speakers are a pair of Radio Shack book shelf (about 4"X 6",) with a bass trumpet located between speakers. From house, using a Scosche FM transmitter connect to music on you tube, or Direct TV Malt Shop Oldies. In shop have a Sony Walkman, also connecr to FM transmitter that I play oldies CD's. When running machines, put on my "Work Tunes " headphones. By using a FM transmitter, I can connect both shop radio and head phones at the same time. FYI, Scosche transmitters are available at Walmart in the car stereo section for less than eight bucks. For batteries, I use HF's rechargeble NIMH batteries in both transmitter and head phones

Brian Patterson

Bstrom
User
I run no entertainment whilst operating power tools - only during finishing or similar safer tasks. Do have a 55” 4K web-os LG TV on the shop wall, tho.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an old Bose amp/speaker system that amplifies an Ipod/Iphone (think wide plug) that I have an old Iphone in, that connects wirelessly to internet. I listen to Pandora mostly, but occasionally podcasts or internet radio.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Just an old AM/FM radio always tuned to WHKY Hickory, except on the weekends which is always sports talk and sports--during the current state of disrespect and cancel culture by millionaire athletes, no sports, including NASCAR, find their way into my shop or home.

nn4jw

Jim
Senior User
I have an old Fisher receiver/amp and some old bookshelf speakers in the shop. I've replaced/upgraded receivers and speakers a number of times over the years and just recycle the systems into other rooms and the shop. That said I hardly ever play music in the shop or watch the tv that's out there. Too distracting when I'm concentrating on what I'm working on.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Echo Dot accessing my Amazon Music. Surprising amount and quality of sound that can come out of that little package. Even so most of my power tools drown it out.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a notebook Windows computer connected to a Harmon Kardon stereo receiver and four in wall speakers, plus a couple of outdoor speakers on the side of the shop for the back yard/deck. There is a 28" led TV used as a secondary monitor, and for watching TV, although that rarely happens in the shop.

I have a Plex media server running in my office and Plex media player running on the notebook PC. All of my music files are stored on a Netgear NAS, also in my office. I have been accumulating music for many, many years and now have everything in digital format, about 650 GB.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have an amp similar to the one Mike linked to... it powers the in-house speakers that we rarely use since we picked up a small Bluetooth speaker for the kitchen. I was considering using that and picking up a set speakers. I stream Pandora and Apple music on my phone.

But I was looking at the Amazon and Google speakers and just wondering how useful that whole system would actually be.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
An older Aiwa bookshelf system fed by a Creative Jukebox mp3 player. The player is an older one with an actual spinning hard drive. Had it for about 17 years now. When it dies, I will probably do the PLEX server or similar. Stereo is shielded from dust with plastic sheeting and the mp3 lives in a ziplock bag and hangs on the wall. Not pretty, but it works.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS