Sort of a Specialty Drill Bit Extension

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I use a a gundrill to bore the blanks for my flutes.The gundrill has a point on just like a regular drill...pointed. On this particular flute I am making I cant drill the inside completely through because I need to leave a plug inside at a certain place ....I usually drill from one end to desired spot,flip the blank over and drill from that end to the desired spot and in this process I leave a 1/2" plug with the pointed profile from the bit in both sides in the plug.

I really would like to leave the plug flat on both sides like if I had drilled it with a forstner bit....The 3/4" is the only one I have an issue with because I can't use an extension because the extension part that holds the forstner bit is too big...

I forgot this...The longest I would have to reach inside is 18" or so inches....I have been leaving the plug a little thicker but rather not..

Some guys drill all the way through and then slid a plug in place but I know at some point I would bust a blank if the plug didnt cooperate.....Hope ya can follow all this!!!! So how can I just clean up the last little bit on a 3/4" plug that is 18" inside of a tube?

Thanks!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have an 18 inch drill extension that fits a 1/4 drill bit so the outer diameter is only about 5/8 inch. If you can find one like that and a 3/4 Forster with 1/4 inch shaft you would be golden.
When I made a flute for Collin’s Scout master I did two parts and used a half round router bit to cut the grooves then glued it together. Since I butterflied the blank and kept it in order the seam barely showed.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would also suggest looking for bellhanger drill bits - those normally run from 6 inch up to 30 inch.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have an 18 inch drill extension that fits a 1/4 drill bit so the outer diameter is only about 5/8 inch. If you can find one like that and a 3/4 Forster with 1/4 inch shaft you would be golden.
When I made a flute for Collin’s Scout master I did two parts and used a half round router bit to cut the grooves then glued it together. Since I butterflied the blank and kept it in order the seam barely showed.
I have done some like that .It works good. I just mainly use the gundrils now

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Take a look at the Maxi-Cut Rotostop bits and extensions. The extension has a diameter of just over 1/2" and come in three lengths. Lee Valley sells them

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS