Sorry guys but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I am confused about preparing a log for turning a bowl - I understand the sealing part - but spliting the log is where I am confused - Some have told me when I split the log down the middle I should have three pieces - the third being the pith - correct? How do I know what the pith looks like? I have also watched some videos from Jet tools and all they did was split the log down the middle and turned it - I am confused about this:dontknow::BangHead: Also what would be the best wood to turn honey dippers - I was thinking hard maple

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Phillip,
I can help you with the pith part of it. If you take a round slice of tree and look at it, the pith is the center. It is very usnstable and should be avoided. Alot of times 4x4's are made from the pith and if so you will notice that they dry with a twist.

Hope that helps.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I was looking for that Bill Grumbine article.. that's my favorite on the subject. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I was looking for that Bill Grumbine article.. that's my favorite on the subject. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Yep the way he makes em is real close to the way I do.

I would recommend to seal the entire blank with ancorseal ASAP. I was going to cut up and seal a pickup truck load of blanks but the man wouldn't let me take a couple of days and crawl through his firewood logs. He wanted to charge me like 100 times more what he would get out of it for seasoned firewood. Sadly I had to say make em into firewood then. I sure couldn't have sold the for what he wanted to charge me, let alone recoup materials and labor. I don't mind having to pay a little extra but not that much extra.

I'm always leery of slicing thick chunks like that, it's very easy to miss any embedded steel when something is like 6" thick. I know if I cut 4/4 boards of a log, the mill will most likely find anything that's in the log. At 4/4 the mill is like a magnet, it finds everything :roll:.

titan04

New User
Josh
I am confused about preparing a log for turning a bowl - I understand the sealing part - but spliting the log is where I am confused - Some have told me when I split the log down the middle I should have three pieces - the third being the pith - correct? How do I know what the pith looks like? I have also watched some videos from Jet tools and all they did was split the log down the middle and turned it - I am confused about this:dontknow::BangHead: Also what would be the best wood to turn honey dippers - I was thinking hard maple

Thanks for posting this because I wasn't sure either... I have a couple of logs I was going to saw up this weekend too and was about to go a googling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS