Son of a...

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankson

New User
Jeff
My dad was a bright man who achieved much in his career without the benefit of a college degree...manufacturing/electrical engineer on; F-15, Lunar Module, Hubble Telescope, etc. At home he would tackle any home project, and his hobbies were photography and stained glass. Needless to say, like many of you, I am very proud of my dad and miss him, hence the name FRANKson...my name is Jeff

I worked at AT&T for almost 28 years and then took an early-out offer in '98. While there, I worked in Engineering, Computer Programming, Marketing/Sales, and Global Network Management.

I married in 1993 and left NYC for Orlando. While there, my son was born in 2000 and I did contract work from home (i.e. Marketing for IBM Bus Partners and Business Development for the developer of Stock Market investment tools based on Chaos Theory). In 2003 my wife and I decided that we needed a change and we relocated to Wilmington, NC....it's been great. Hobbies: scuba diving, photography, karate and, recently, instructing inner city kids in woodworking.

I've discovered, at the age of 55, that I have some of dad's creative abilities and have applied them to the craft of woodworking. In February, I took my first course and made a drawer with half-blind/ dovetail joints. I just completed my first large project - a trestle table (purple heart top with inlay and hard maple base). I'm excited that there is a NC site for woodworkers, and look forward to learning from your collective experiences.

Thanks for reading!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome! It's good to meet you. Wilmington's a great town, my in-laws live there and I visit regularly. Dave\\:D/

Monty

New User
Monty
I second that welcome! I'm just curious... what kind of resources do you have teaching the inner city kids? Does the city support your efforts?

I'd love to see some pics of the inlaid purple heart trestle table!

frankson

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the replies.

Please check out the kids program web site www.kidsmakingit.org. This is a non-profit organization.

The financial resources for the kids program is a challenge for the programs director. He has worked over the last few years to get ongoing(yearly) corporate sponsors but, I do not believe that this has worked out. Instead, he works thoughout the year in search of monies for the program. Yes, he does get government support but, I don't know the amount/details...much time is spent applying for grants.

People resources - primarily based on volunteers (i.e. local artist helps with design challenges, skilled woodworkers and novices instruct/coach kids). The program focuses on equipping young kids to succeed in life and woodworking.

Facilities - always on a look out for good quality new/used machine tools (i.e. shop needs a new table saw, table spindel sander, etc). However, the kids learn to use; bandsaw, table saw, chop saw, drill press, brad gun, biscuit joiner, orbital sanders, etc. Focus is on producing an in-demand quality item while keeping time to produce and material costs in mind. This is NOT fine woodworking but, instead good practical use of tools to provide skills for kids to build things for themselves, their family or if they choose - sell them thru the retail shop on premise..the kids take most of the profit.

On a personal note, when I figure out the process to post PIX, I'll pass along some of my trestle table.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Sounds (and looks) like a neat program. I do have a couple of questions; Do you use your shop for instruction? If so, how does liability insurance work? Is it carried by the organization, keeping you free of any lawsuits (unless you do something really stupid)? Second, if it is in your shop, do you have any worries about nighttime visitors once they see the tools and consider the value of them, or tell their big brothers who need money to feed their hobby?

George

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jeff,

Can't wait to see the photos!

And what you're doing with Wilmington inner city kids is wonderful. My wife, who works in community development, is familiar with the program. Now I'm lobbying her to increase funds for that organization ::D

Why Not?
Roger

frankson

New User
Jeff
gator said:
Sounds (and looks) like a neat program. I do have a couple of questions; Do you use your shop for instruction? If so, how does liability insurance work? Is it carried by the organization, keeping you free of any lawsuits (unless you do something really stupid)? Second, if it is in your shop, do you have any worries about nighttime visitors once they see the tools and consider the value of them, or tell their big brothers who need money to feed their hobby?

George

Gator,

The organization has an insurance policy to cover liability, etc - the director is a retired lawyer/woodworker.
The woodworking/retail shop is in commercial space in downtown Wilmington just off Market St....heavily trafficed area.

thanks for the questions

frankson

New User
Jeff
sapwood said:
Jeff,

Can't wait to see the photos!

And what you're doing with Wilmington inner city kids is wonderful. My wife, who works in community development, is familiar with the program. Now I'm lobbying her to increase funds for that organization ::D

Why Not?
Roger

Roger,

I was so excited by the interest you and others have shown in the KIDS MAKING IT program, that I called our Program Director James (Jimmy) Pierce and told him about the NC Woodworkers web site. Jimmy was happy to hear that there was a NC based site and that there was interest in the program. He plans to join our site in the next few days, write a bio and invite any questions/interest you may have in the program.

thank you

frankson

New User
Jeff
gator said:

George

George,

Jimmy Pierce provided a little more info in response to your questions - "we have great ($1 million, I believe) liability coverage, that protects us. And I don't worry about nighttime visitors to the shop, vis a vis the tools. We keep it locked, of course, and we have some contents insurance for that as well, but, frankly, I totally trust the kids we work with. Although the point is certainly a good one about the potential 'older brother', I've really never worried about something like that happening. I believe the building has alarms, so that should provide us with some protection as well".

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think in a round about way, you answered one of my questions. About using your own shop. If I was using my shop, I guess I would have more worries than using the program's shop as you indicate you do. I don't know that equipping a seperate shop locally would fly so if such a program started here it would have to be out of someone's private shop.

George

frankson

New User
Jeff
George,

If you/others would be interested in learning more about the program or how to get one started drop me a PM....I'm sure Jimmy would welcome the interest.

thanks,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS