Sometimes things don't go the way you planned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have long admired this style of box commonly referred to as a snap lid box. The lid is supposed to fit snugly into a recess around the opening in the top of the body of the box. Having it fit this way allows the lid contour to conform to the overall shape of the box.

As you can see my lid does not do that. I was having a merry old time hollowing out the body of the box when I suddenly realized I had turned it too thin to form a recess for the lid to "snap" in to.

Not being one to give up on a piece of wood that I have time invested in I decided while turning the lid to turn a tenon/spigot on the underside of the lid that fits snugly into the box opening. It works but it was not my intended way of completing this box.

In curly big leaf maple, this box is 2 1/4" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall.

Attachments

• Curly maple snap lid2 (600 x 700).jpg
    Curly maple snap lid2 (600 x 700).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 151

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Boy, I wish I good screw up that good. That's a beautiful box, even if it didn't turn out as planned....no one would have ever known it should have been otherwise :slap:

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Very nice indeed Mike. I'm with Dave, I wish my screw ups looked half that good.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey Mike...obviously a beautiful piece of art!!! Do you mind sharing your sanding technique. I've messed around with a couple bowls and, with the changing grain as the piece spins, I am having trouble sanding out smoothly. It seems, especially on maple, the grain tears out in certain spots and I can never really get a 'perfect' finish.

Cheers!
Chris

JRD

New User
Jim
A Goof Up?...........Nah!.........I prefer "unique piece of turning".

It's a phrase that I use frequently with some of my own work.

There's one other thing you might have been able to do. Did you consider adding a band of contrasting wood to the area where the two surfaces mate?
From the outside that would provide a thin band of "accent" but allow you another chance at the lid/bowl mating surface by adding more thickness on the inner surface.

Jim

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Jim, an interesting idea to use a "filler" piece of contrasting wood. I will file that away for next time.

Chris, sanding is a combination of things. First and foremost making sure your tools are sharp, not only when you start but also when you finish. Right before the last few passes on a turning it is a good idea to touch up the edge to get it as sharp as possible so as to get a nice clean cut. Also it is a good idea to take very light very slow deliberate cuts near the end so that you are removing a small chip.

Now that you are through cutting the sanding grit you are starting with is important. You should start with paper as coarse as necessary to remove the tool marks you have left. This means if it requires 80 grit to remove any tear out then you start with 80 grit until you have a uniform scratch pattern on your wood. One instructor I had at John C. Campbell said sandpaper should be thought of as another cutting tool. I have a picture somewhere in my file where he is sanding a segmented piece with some 24 grit to remove some chip out on yellow locust. The gouge kept chipping out the wood no matter how sharp. And if the sandpaper is not cutting get a new piece. Always use sandpaper like DaveO was paying for it....:rolf: Then don't skip grits. If you start at 80 go to 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, 280, 320, 360, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and so on. In reality there are very few pieces that require much above 600. Most woods will not show scratches that are visible to the naked eye when you get to 600 grit.

Another personal favorite of mine is use woven 3M pads where I can as they have a much more random grit pattern than sandpaper. If one grain of the grit on a piece of sandpaper is too large for the grit you are using then you will have a scratch that is larger than the rest of the scratches and it will be visible. It also helps to keep the abrasive moving so that concentric rings are not formed. I also use worn pieces of the woven 3M pads between my finger and the sandpaper. This helps keep my finger cool and also distributes the force evenly over the paper. If your finger gets hot you are pushing too hard and not allowing the grit to cut. If you do this on end grain on some exotic woods you will get end grain cracks that will spoil the appearance of your work.

Sanding speed is important. I don't pay much attention to the rules about speed. I hear people say you should slow down the lathe for sanding. They get good results by doing so. I don't slow down and sand at the same speed as I turned. I think you should try both and see which works best for you.

Perhaps the most important aspect of sanding is to have good light. I have two bright lights that I use while sanding. One is mounted on the headstock and shines directly down on the piece I am turning. The other light is mounted on the end of the bench where my lathe is mounted and provides a raking light that allows me to see scratches where the light passes over them at an angle. If you can't see the scratches very well you will not be able to remove them. Good light is essential.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol:Yowser! Great response, thanks. I think the part that I am missing is getting the tools an extra sharpening right before my last cuts. I am pretty good about the sanding part...starting low and not skipping grits...only because I love to sand..and who doesn't. I am starting with torn grain from the beginning and feel that even 60 grit will not work as it just adds gouges to my torn grain (aka insult to injury). I am working on a bowl that has a beautiful bubbly quilted maple...I will go back and start over with my finishing with sharp tools and a LIGHT touch...I'll let you know how much you helped me with a free picture of my work :) haha

Seriously! Thnaks a ton!!!
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors