Something Different

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I assembled two identical bowls, but turned and finished only one, leaving the other one in the "rough".

100_0117B.JPG

I then split each of them into halves.

100_0118B.JPG

Ditto

100_0120.JPG

I then reassemble a finished half and a "rough" half.

100_0123.JPG

This gives a good visual of before and after and also shows how much wood is removed during the turning process.

100_0124.JPG

It was an easy decision to split the rough one into halves, but I questioned myself when I started to split the finished one into halves. Lol.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Wonderful sacrifice of beautiful work, great teaching tool. I could see that in my mind when I turn, but is really cool to see it for sure in hand. Thanks so much for doing it and sharing!!!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the one on the right best!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Charlie, I was delighted to read that you did this for demonstration purposes...for a brief moment I thought you may be losing it! That said, the overall result is an excellent visual of what takes place during the turning process. While an effective teaching tool, it is also a beautiful piece of woodworking artistry!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Imaginary conversation between Charlie and his clients

"Why yes I made those"

"How? Well, it's all a matter of timing exactly when I plunge the gouge into the workpiece. One has to be quick and precise. Very precise!"

-Mark

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Add to that a picture of the pile of lumber and then the pile of cut pieces to make a dramatic look at what it takes, and don't forget to add a 40 hour hour glass.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS