Some Times the Drill Bit Gets Stuck in Surgery, too (warning, may be disturbing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
If people only knew what is, or could be done to them after they sign the paper and are out. My first wife worked in surgery. Between the educational videos and the stories from those in the or's, wow.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Following my hip replacement my orthopaedic surgeon's PA told me about the perpetual bruise she had on her thigh from patients' foot resting against her thigh while the doctor banged prosthetic hip stems into femurs. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Mentioning hips my father said he could feel and hear the docs as they drove the hip stem in the bone.

Tony

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
There used to be a show on Discovery or TLC which took you through various operations. I could not manage to watch many of them, but I did see a knee replacement. Norm Abrams would have been right at home. Stainless steel jigs to locate the cut and provide a proper bedding angle for the new knee parts. Used a stainless drill and saw that could have been made by B&D. A SS mallet to drive them in after a SS measuring jig helped them determine what size and length the new parts needed to be. In some respects it was like viewing a woodworking tutorial with a new tool. The patient was a rather large individual and the tech that was responsible for moving, holdiing and position the leg was a trooper. Pretty amazing to watch.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
There used to be a show on Discovery or TLC which took you through various operations. I could not manage to watch many of them, but I did see a knee replacement. Norm Abrams would have been right at home. Stainless steel jigs to locate the cut and provide a proper bedding angle for the new knee parts. Used a stainless drill and saw that could have been made by B&D. A SS mallet to drive them in after a SS measuring jig helped them determine what size and length the new parts needed to be. In some respects it was like viewing a woodworking tutorial with a new tool. The patient was a rather large individual and the tech that was responsible for moving, holdiing and position the leg was a trooper. Pretty amazing to watch.

It's probably good that my wife did not see this before she had bilateral knee replacement a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS