Some pics of my intarsia

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Geeez Mike! The guys were talking about your work this morning. Boy, were they right saying you did some fantastic work! Marquetry is on my round tuit list, but your intarsia is definitely inspiring. How do you go about making the pattern for your project?

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Ed
Thanks for the nice comments.
To answer your question about how I create my patterns;
I start off with a photo and enlarge it so that I can use a grid .I then decide what size the finished piece will be and redraw the grid onto my pattern sheet. At this point it's just a matter of drawing the contents of each section of the grid until the pattern is complete.If this all sounds OLD SCHOOL that's because it is. It does take a certain amount or artistic ability but thats what makes it so much fun.

Mike

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Cathy
If you are referring to the sky in Monticello it is a piece of spalted soft maple.
Where the crescent moon is there was a knot and a worm hole.
Mike

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Ed
One of the great things about intarsia is the fact that you use different thicknesses of wood which allows you to shape and contour the pieces to add dimensional effects. I also use a lot of carving to add more detail to the pieces. Most of the carving is done after I have cut the piece out and the paper pattern is still attached to the wood. I use my dremel tool with different bits and carve right thru the pattern following the carving lines.
I also use 1/4 " and 1/2" sanding drums to shape smaller pieces.
Just wanted to add that on MONTICELLO I carved over 3000 bricks into the Bubinga

Mike

Last edited:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
You, sir, are an artist. Your work is amazing and the detail is unbelievable. And I thought I had patience. :BangHead:

Thanks for sharing these beautiful works of art with us.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS