Some of you may know the long story behind the "Chest of many drawers"

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm trying to wrap my brain around the project :)eek:). The triangle design is interesting.
I'm with Neal. I'm having trouble trying to understand what the project is, or as Mike said, we may come out of this with more than one project because it could go to children or a politician, or a personal home. My mind works better when I know what the end goal is and I'm not sure what it is.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm with Neal. I'm having trouble trying to understand what the project is, or as Mike said, we may come out of this with more than one project because it could go to children or a politician, or a personal home. My mind works better when I know what the end goal is and I'm not sure what it is.
It is not a serial path - there could be many outcomes or multiple projects, I deal with that at work every day... I am not sure why this is hard to understand?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is no goal, no project, no plans, and no predictable outcome.

We are experimenting in the realm of "What can we do together that will be fun and possibly benefit someone?".

It is wide open and only limited by your imagination.

Collaborative arts practice involves artists and communities working closely together, often over extended periods of time, to make art. It harnesses the experiences and skills of each person taking part to give meaning and creative expression to what's important in their lives.

Collaborative art can be defined simply as artwork that involves working as a team to create art, and each person contributes in some significant way to the artwork.

For the academics...

Or... what can 10,000 old woodworkers do to upend the stereotypes and create something uniquely North
Carolinian?

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm not sure that's fair. Speaking for myself, I don't have the skill or experience to design/build such a piece (or any part).

I was always taught that if you can't drive the truck don't honk the horn.
True, obviously I misspoke. Should have said once it is clearly defined MORE will get on board.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Would you like to start a new co-operative art project?
These things usually take a year to run out and we can raise money for NCWW, a charity, donate the art, or draw a name from the participants.

I read this post initially, and I CLEARLY missed Mike's first line: "Would you like to start a new co-operative art project?"

I suspect that many others missed this first line as well, and went to the possibilities of furniture or fund-raising or .... and much of the discussion has been clouded by that confusion. So Mike is proposing a collaborative art project. Phil's specific suggestion looks like one great idea.
I will repeat Mike's question: Would you like to start a new co-operative art project?

If so, what would you like to see done or participate in? Oh so many ways to go - find a few collaborators and proceed.
- Co-operative 'NC county map' intarsia project
- NC state park wall hanging - as discussed earlier in another thread
- a 'table top' with a mosaic of wood art 'inlaid' (somehow)
- a collaborative decoration of a large turned bowl - several 'tiles' or panels on exterior, interior rim perhaps centerpiece (woodburning? Painting, dye stains, abstract or realistic).

Yes the ultimate intent of where this goes might be good for all participants to understand upfront
- as Mike suggested, this could be a donation
- could be sold or auctioned, here or elsewhere, as a fundraiser
- could be a joint project of NCWW with a local arts group - proceeds to benefit both...
....and a lot of other possibilities

It is of course easier to discuss a concrete proposal than the general concept.
Phil has proposed one wall hanging art idea that I quite like (the knot puzzle pieces), and I think has suggested several more.

What might you like to do? Propose something and see if anyone wants to join.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am thinking about a wall hanging, quilt type thing. Each block would be a specific size,
LxWxH. They might be able to be connected with dovetail keys? Hooks and eyes?

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is not a serial path - there could be many outcomes or multiple projects, I deal with that at work every day... I am not sure why this is hard to understand?
I am a left brain person and spent my entire working life as an engineer and manager, mostly in building related projects and maintenance. I've designed solutions and found ways to fix problems, but there was always some end point in mind. I am not an artistic person.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
one idea i have is someone could cut squarely and accurately blanks of plywood. Then members could decorate as they see fit, then we could assemble them with pocket screws as an installed wall art mosaic or incorporate into the side of book cases.

we could potentially put together multiple book cases or display cabinets to donate to libraries or museums throughout the state to promote the site

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
one idea i have is someone could cut squarely and accurately blanks of plywood. Then members could decorate as they see fit, then we could assemble them with pocket screws as an installed wall art mosaic or incorporate into the side of book cases.

we could potentially put together multiple book cases or display cabinets to donate to libraries or museums throughout the state to promote the site
I like this idea, but what if the attachment points / assembly pieces were something member created?! (think of a "display side" bowtie or something else a little more creative that could lock the "quilt" pieces together?!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
To take Rich’s point, let’s develop a theme and a destination then let the design grow out of that.

the isolation of the past year could be a starting point for a theme

education or youth training in woodwork should be the destination

So, how can we pull that together?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS