Some Long Overdue Progress on Lingerie Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I started this lingerie chest over 2 years ago, since then there has been one delay or stumbling block on top of another. Finally, today I made some progress. The major problem was how to get around the varying depth of the dado's in the sides for the dust panels. My guess is that the spacers I used to glue the sides to the legs varied during glue up.

I have not had a project with a dado go right yet, but I have always been able to come up with a solution. Eventually the light turned on :widea: hand tools. That process has had a whole learning curve all its own, but we are getting there. It was also a source for delay, I did not have any hand tools I needed. Time has caused the thickness of the dust panels to change a bit, so with each dust panel numbered it is time to hand fit the panel to it's dado. A few swipes of the plane down each side did the trick.

First we need one of those vice thingy's on my make shift work bench. Since I have no vice, I needed to improvise with a couple of screw clamps clamped to the table

Fitting_the_Dust_Panels_003e.jpg

I know it is pretty low tech. but it worked and held much better than I thought it might. It would have been nice to have seen that bench on the Raliegh craigslist at the right time. :cry_smile :BangHead:

The shavings rolled off

Fitting_the_Dust_Panels_002e.jpg

A few cycles of plane then check fit, plane then check fit and we are good.

Fitting_the_Dust_Panels_004e.jpg

I was relieved to find this process working as well as it did. I was really concerned on how to get to the next step without turning the whole project into firewood. :nah: I finished all but one of the right side, if all goes well tomorrow, maybe the left side will be fitted.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Lookin' good there Bryan:icon_thum nothin' wrong with the improvised "vice thingy" - whatever it takes!

Keep us posted...

C.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Bryan, if you can improvise a vice when you needed it, I am sure you can think through any bumps along the way to getting the chest completed.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Bryan, if you can improvise a vice when you needed it, I am sure you can think through any bumps along the way to getting the chest completed.

I would love to take full credit for the ingenuity, but I saw a similar setup in one of the wwing mag's tips section. He drilled holes thought the clamps and used dowels to hold them to his work table. I think this means I can take credit for remembering it.

I see the need for a real vise here and Fine Woodworking's shop projects has a simple but well built design that will probably be in my future. Like I said delays have been many and long lasting. After 2 long semesters at school of nothing but accounting it has felt good to get in the shop and make some chips

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's looking good Bryan. An interesting and rewarding aspect of this hobby is the often needed improvisation in the shop!

How can I make this work with what I have on hand? Voila, ya got it! :eek:ccasion1

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
<snip>
I see the need for a real vise here and Fine Woodworking's shop projects has a simple but well built design that will probably be in my future. Like I said delays have been many and long lasting. After 2 long semesters at school of nothing but accounting it has felt good to get in the shop and make some chips
FWIW, ShopNotes (Woodsmith) has plans for a very serviceable small bench with shop-made vices (x2).

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/small-workbench/

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS