Soft Close Drawer slide recommendation for kitchen wanted

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I would like to replace the drawer slides in our kitchen with a high quality soft close slide. The current ones are attached to the bottom or the drawer and has the wheels on the side mount pece and the piece attached to the drawer. Our home was built in the early 1990's and has custom painted cabinets and I do not think the soft close slides were available at that time.
I am seeking recommendations for high quality slides.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
are you going to keep the existing drawer boxes or are you going to make new ones? What thickness is the drawer box material and what is the gap from the edge of the face frame to the drawer box on each side?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are swapping out existing soft close hardware then you most likely will be able swap out product for product. If that’s the case, then I would recommend Blum or Grass. Both have a web presence. If you have other drawer guides then you will have to make new drawer boxes to accommodate the hardware. Again I would recommend the Blum or Grass.

cyclopentadiene

User
I was hopong to keep the existing boxes. They are 3/8” inch maple ply. They are in excellent shape and no real need to replace the boxes. Here is an image from the side of one of the drawers. The ones in the bar with heavier silverware tend to drag when opening and closing. There are a couple that the roller wheels seem to get out of the track. Inside the cabinet, they used 1/8 inch maple ply to attach the runners and the ply is attached to the cabinets.

1622986883237.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will have to check the drawer box requirements for the drawer guide. ie, clearances for the opening and width x depth x thickness of the materials. All of the cabinets I’ve installed over the years have different drawer boxes for the different guides. So good luck.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have used Blum in the past, they work well and I would use them again. As I recall, you lose a 0.5" of drawer depth due to the closure mechanism on the underside of the drawer.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
IF Your boxes are : 1" less than the width of the opening, AND the drawer bottoms are 1/2" UP from the bottom of the sides; you can use BLUM undermount soft close slides. if not than, you can go with GOOD accuride sidemount slides, or new drawers

cyclopentadiene

User
Jack, Richard and DRW. Thanks for the feedback. I will measure when I get home but I am pretty sure I have enough clearance

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Your 1" sideways is a given, it the 1/2space underneath that is MANDATORY for blum.You might have a hidden blessing, check the clearence for drawer top to frame, if that is more than 1/2, then you can add the 1/2 to the drawer bottom. :D :D

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
What they said. I really like the Blum undermount soft close slides but they do require that 1/2 inch below the drawer bottom for mounting. They are not the cheapest, but sometimes you get what you pay for. You asked for high quality and they are that.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not only the 1/2" for the front clips, but also top and bottom opening clearance to face frame. 9/16 bottom 1/4" top.

The biggest issue is the width. For the Blums you would have to work backwards from the inside drawer dimension to determine the opening width, and pad the cabinet out.

Hidden slides are nice, but you should consider ball bearing side mount self closing slides.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS