So what kinds of tips and tricks do you have for a folding rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
So I just got a new folding rule after thinking about it for months. What can you tell me about tips, tricks, uses, do's and dont's? I am eager to know. Thanks!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
IMHO, it's THE most accurate thing you can use. :icon_thum

Tape measure ends inevitably come loose. :confused_
Folder is also good for inside measurments. Also good for reaching up and measuring without having to climb on something. :widea: I'm old school on this one. I like my 6' Lufkin!

M

McRabbet

I just bought a 6' Lufkin Red End with sliding brass extensions in mint condition for $3 at a tag sale. Best tip: Don't put it in your back pocket and sit on it. I agree that they are quite accurate -- a little paraffin on the joints once a year and they'll last for years and years.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Best rule you can get, easy to use great for any type work. don't sit on them, I have
4 that I use all the time, but the one I use the most is the red end reverse it lays flat.
dick

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Lufkin red end rulers have been my mainstay in measuring since the early 80's. The single brass extension is the #X46, and you're lucky you can find a double brass slide #X46X that has a brass extension on each end; Lufkin stopped making those several years ago. They also make an 8' version #X48. I don't have any real tricks or tips that have not been mentioned, just take careful care of them. Like Rob said, carrying them around in your back pocket is handy, but wears the paint and numbers off, not to mention what sitting on them does for the integrity and accuracy. I carry mine in the side pocket of my fatigues. Always keep them dry. I've always just used 3-in-1 oil on the joints, although like Rob said, parafin, wax or even graphite would collect less dust and trash. The only tip I may have is keep them away from kids, while growing up my boys probably broke 20 folding rules for me.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Reading that old post makes me want to go out and replace my folding rule I broke years ago...

YAY! A reason to go to Lowes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors