So they are called PAPR

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
For a lot of uses, sanding, lathe, painting, sand blasting, etc. Thinking about a powered full face shield. I wear glasses and have a full beard, so traditional sealing masks are not very good and any regular N95 or similar, just fogs both my glasses and the traditional shields. So a pressurized shield seems to make sense. I tend to beat up face shields, so cheap replaceable shield or overlay is a must.

If course, 3 M has one for the price of a decent used car. I see the TREND advertised a lot, and seemingly identical ones in different colors for 3 or 4 times the price. I know there are many others, Recommendations please. I imagine the pack and hose type to be most inconvenient.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
There used to be a competitor to the Trend that was Manufactured in the Hickory NC area (not sure exactly where and have lost their name over time) does anyone know who that was and if they are still in business?

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I prefer the CAPR. I forget what the acronyms mean but with the CAPR all the works are in the helmet, you just have the battery hooked to your belt and power cord to the helmet. At Conehealth we use a product from MAXAIR and this has a reusable and replaceble face shield

While I have not worn one for extended periods of time I have had them on when I have had to enter a room with a COVID patient. I have no idea what the cost is and may be the price of a good used car.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have a Breathe Cool unit that I use in the paint room. I usually use the mask with it like this one:

I also have the hood for it but only use it for nasty paints. If you are looking for a self contained unit then this system is not as convenient. But the advantage of a unit like this with an air pump on the other end of a hose is that I can set the pump outside the finishing room and pass the hose through a port I placed in the wall.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I have the Trend and like it, mostly. It works well. It is expensive, somewhat bulky, and the batteries take a long time to charge--about 12-14 hours. Unfortunately, I am finding I am using it less than when I first got it as it is a little less convenient than a simple dust mask. I like it best if I am doing something that slings chips, etc. but also note that visibility, for me, is somewhat restricted when trying to do detail work.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Simple masks don't seal well on a beard and N-95 style fog my glasses and even worse a traditional face shield.
I am going to give the RZ mask a try and see if it fits better than a formed mask.

That sure is a long charge time. Must be old technology. Or do they make a faster charger for even more money? Slow charge as a way to get you to pay even more? Price of the Trend seems high considering what it is compared to all my other battery powered devices.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Scott, I have the Ellipse P100 that I use for other things when I'm not turning. With the P100, my glasses to not fog! If you have any interest in checking one out, you're welcome to look at mine. They're available at Klingspor ... Link ->. Search

Runk

New User
Runk
If you are going to buy a PAPR be sure that it is NIOSH approved. Then you know that if you wear it CORRECTLY you will be protected!!

If you have a beard and want to be protected should not ware a tight fitting porduct as it it will not seal at the hairy part of the face. Again if you want to be protected from what you are putting into the air buy a NIOSH approve product.

All NIOSH approved product has instructions for how to properly fit a product.

NIOSH stands for National Institute Of Safety and Health. They are charged with being sure a safety product does what it says it will do.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a turner I keeping looking at used riot headgear with the face shield. GovDeals starts them at $350. Should be good for projectiles, yes? So far, I haven't bid. Then I think about a linemen's football helmet with the eye shield and full face mask. Used ones seem to start around $350. So far, I haven't bid.

Sticking with the Trend for now. Did buy a new battery a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have the JSP Pro Powercap Active Powerered Respirator. It's fantastic for turning and any other task that makes a lot of dust! It's like having air conditioning built into your mask. Plus it's much lighter than the Trend unit.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have the JSP Pro Powercap Active Powerered Respirator. It's fantastic for turning and any other task that makes a lot of dust! It's like having air conditioning built into your mask. Plus it's much lighter than the Trend unit.
Do you recall where you got it? Seems to be a UK product. Didn't see distributors in US mentioned.

mpeele

michael
User
Simple masks don't seal well on a beard and N-95 style fog my glasses and even worse a traditional face shield.
I am going to give the RZ mask a try and see if it fits better than a formed mask.

That sure is a long charge time. Must be old technology. Or do they make a faster charger for even more money? Slow charge as a way to get you to pay even more? Price of the Trend seems high considering what it is compared to all my other battery powered devices.
I too have a full beard and wear glasses. I wear 3M half mask. To fix the seal I apply petroleum jelly where mask contacts my beard and test the seal by covering filters with my had and inhaling. mask sucks down every time. Don't use Vicks.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the 3 M PAPR and it works great. Yes it is expensive, but a trip to the doctor for serious asthma attack clearly showed I needed one. I had been using the Eclipse mask. Got mine from EnviroSafety.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS