So I'm trying to be a good son.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Since my father passed last year I've tried to spend as much free time with my mother as I can. I woke up early this morning and decided to spend the morning with her. She likes to antique so she wanted to take me to a few of her favorite shops. She bought me a nice old dovetail backsaw a few weeks ago (she paid $3) ...before that it was a rough Stanley #5c and a MINT Millers Falls #14 that she bought as a pair for $11. What's to lose I thought. Down side....its a long ride and I didn't really want to ride. She's excited so I go. She takes me to this hole-in-the-wall "thrift" shop first....the same place she picked up the saw and other planes. Karma. This is what I found....$30 for the pair. I had been looking for a #4...these are both nice, full blades, no chips or cracks on bodies or handles.

stanley 3.jpgstanly 1.jpgstanley 2.jpg....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I need to meet your MOM!

Absolute bargains there!

Are you coming to Bill's nest week to tune them up?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
She loves it. She is a retired educator and books are her thing. I just plant the seeds and watch what grows.

I would love to go and tune them but work work work......

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
Nice! I've never been so lucky at an antique shop. Everytime I see a plane, looks like someone drug it behind their car on a cross country trip...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
She's looking for me a #7 or #8 right now.....I'll tell her to keep her eyes open for others. She has a pretty good idea now about condition, quality and such. If she sees anything I'll pass the word......

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
It just goes to show that mamma does know best when it comes to finding bargains. :D

-NCGrimbo

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Here's what mom brought by yesterday. She paid $7.50 for the pair. I'm assuming the Sargent equivalent of a Stanley #4 and #5. Both were RUSTY. A little Evapo-Rust, 800 grit and elbo grease on the #4.... later.....

sargent.jpgsargent 2.jpgsargent 3.jpgsargent4.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I sure would like to know how your Mom is finding all these places that are selling the things that I desperately want to buy. :D

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
She found these in a hole-in-the-wall shop near LaGrange, NC. She makes her circle around eastern NC weekly. I was told this was a really out of the way shop. I will say she has the knack for finding things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS