So I'm trying to be a good son.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Since my father passed last year I've tried to spend as much free time with my mother as I can. I woke up early this morning and decided to spend the morning with her. She likes to antique so she wanted to take me to a few of her favorite shops. She bought me a nice old dovetail backsaw a few weeks ago (she paid $3) ...before that it was a rough Stanley #5c and a MINT Millers Falls #14 that she bought as a pair for $11. What's to lose I thought. Down side....its a long ride and I didn't really want to ride. She's excited so I go. She takes me to this hole-in-the-wall "thrift" shop first....the same place she picked up the saw and other planes. Karma. This is what I found....$30 for the pair. I had been looking for a #4...these are both nice, full blades, no chips or cracks on bodies or handles.

stanley 3.jpgstanly 1.jpgstanley 2.jpg....

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
I think I need to meet your MOM!

Absolute bargains there!

Are you coming to Bill's nest week to tune them up?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
She loves it. She is a retired educator and books are her thing. I just plant the seeds and watch what grows.

I would love to go and tune them but work work work......

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
Nice! I've never been so lucky at an antique shop. Everytime I see a plane, looks like someone drug it behind their car on a cross country trip...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
She's looking for me a #7 or #8 right now.....I'll tell her to keep her eyes open for others. She has a pretty good idea now about condition, quality and such. If she sees anything I'll pass the word......

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Here's what mom brought by yesterday. She paid $7.50 for the pair. I'm assuming the Sargent equivalent of a Stanley #4 and #5. Both were RUSTY. A little Evapo-Rust, 800 grit and elbo grease on the #4.... later.....

sargent.jpgsargent 2.jpgsargent 3.jpgsargent4.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I sure would like to know how your Mom is finding all these places that are selling the things that I desperately want to buy. :D

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
She found these in a hole-in-the-wall shop near LaGrange, NC. She makes her circle around eastern NC weekly. I was told this was a really out of the way shop. I will say she has the knack for finding things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS