So did I get a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Those look like they should clean up nicely Chris. As far as I know you got a decent deal on them.:icon_thum

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
From what I can see in the pictures, for under $30, you did well. They look like the will be some good users. Is the block plane a low angle (12°), it's hard to tell from the pictures??

Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Yes, DaveO, it's the low angle 60 1/2.
From what I remember at the MWTCA, it's hard to find either of these for $20 each. This is going to end up at $40 shipped.

Any estimates on the dates, Monty or Ozzie? Or anyone else for that matter...

Travis

New User
Travis
Chris,

How do you plan to refinish the handle and knob. I have a simliar situation on an old DULAP plane. It actually belonged to my wifes grand father. Plan on refurbishing as a family heirloom type thing.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Any estimates on the dates...

Hello Chris,
You got a good deal, both planes look like they will clean up nicely. The #5 is either a late type 18 (~1947) or a late type 19 (~1961) judging from the painted handles, I'll go with the late type 19 because of the shiny lever cap. The mouth on the 60 1/2 looks okay best I can tell from the picture, chipped/cracked or broken mouths are the typical damage to beware of on the low angle planes. Can't really guess at a date on the 60 1/2 although it appears to be a later version and probably chronologically similar to the #5 if they came from the same original owner. When you get it, look at the markings on the cutter, probably will have the notched logo Stanley, Made in USA, and if so, that will set the date similar to the #5. The older block planes have different cutter markings (and other distinguishing features) Did you notice the ebay picture of the plane bottom, the big plane is not the #5, it's a #4 size plane?
My Best
Randy

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Travis, not sure yet. I'm making this up as I go along.

Randy, thanks, once again for the expert appraisal. Two days ago I had sent an email to the seller suggesting that they post a pic of the bottoms, since that's the area most prone to damage.

I'm hoping that Roger will let me borrow his hat when it comes to doing a little electrolysis! :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chris, Redi-kilowatt is standing by . . . especially for your birthday :lol:

In fact, you are welcome to borrow the electrolysis setup . . . but I am forbidden to share the power that comes with the brain bucket :mrgreen:

Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks for the offer, Rog'. I think that i've got all of the stuff needed to set up the electrolysis. I may pick your brain some if I get stuck though.

BTW, it was ChrisC's b-day not mine!:rolf:
He's probably trying to figure out what you're talking about with your comments about fires in his happy b-day thread! LOL

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Unless there is some damage that you can't see you done good.

I use my 60 1/2 more than any plane I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS