snowshoe rabbit in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
This is part of a series on rabbits and trees. The idea is to carve the trees as real as possible making them the real focus of the carving. The animals are secondary but they are also an experiment with fur details.
This carving is from 8/4 basswood with the dimensions at 12" x 26". The background has been carved down to 1/2" in some areas.
When done the branches in some places will be completely free from the background. I am thinking about bleaching the rabbit and the snow but will wait to see how it comes out. The carving is about halfway done.
Any and all comments are welcome.
snowshoeinP.jpg

View image in gallery

M

McRabbet

Beautiful work in progress, Stave -- this 'Ol McRabbet approves! I look forward to the finished carving.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Stave i really can't comment, other than it is an interesting piece and you are truly talented to say the least. Wow, i like to thank i possess some skills in woodworking but wow, whenever i see a piece such as this i am humbly reminded that i don't possess skills in the arena of artistry and/or carving.

I wish i did so often for i have desired to carve scenes into the side walls of my duck and turkey calls but unfortunately I am not too artistically inclined.

Nice work bro, looking good.

Chris

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Outstanding! I love relief carvings that convey a lot of depth like that. I have a couple of articles Chris Pye did where he carved a fish in shallow and then deep relief and from anywhere but up close they look almost identical. You did a masterful job with the ears and 2 branches - my eyes/brain see a lot mre than an inch and a half there. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap 3 of those and one of these :jealous: yeah, I'm jealous. :wsmile:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Nice job, Stave! The talent is definitely visible in that piece. :notworthy:
Please show us the finished work of art!:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looking good! What are you going to use for the fur? I really like the effect of the branches. Keep us posted with progress pics!

stave

New User
stave
Been out shoveling snow all day so just checked in.

I think most anyone here could do the same work with practice. Most folks stop pursuing drawing etc. in high school due to pressure to start planning for the future and to start mapping out a career. I was fortunate to have a good art teacher and a stubborn nature so I never gave up. All it takes is practice...I have just had more practice than most. There have been some posts of first attempts that are far nicer than my first efforts!

Ed, the fur will be done with a foredom and various burrs and stones. I did the research for the fur last night so that will be done soon. The bark and branches are the focus now. Been checking out the snow on the hemlock in my hard to figure out what to do next.

As this is a carving for myself the hours have not been kept but I am guessing around 10 or 15 so far. The basics were cut in with a router and then it was just a matter of rounding, goes real fast at first.

I am really trying to do something different than you usually see in relief work. There will be some kind of frame around it so hopefully that will protect some of the more fragile parts of the carving. Thanks for all the support. I carve alone and do most of my work through the internet. Had four clients my shop all last year so it is nice to hear the comments.

Stave

MT native

New User
Jane
Stave,
Love the Snowshoe Rabbit carving! When I purchased my Foredom it came with a DVD called, "Fur, Feathers and Fins" by Frank Russell. I highly recommend this DVD. I have seen it at Klingspor's in Hickory or it's available off the web. Be sure to also watch how he carves the cougar for the fur effect. My first carving was a rabbit from this DVD. Everyone who sees it wants to buy it, even tho it was left unfinished.

?? How would you bleach the wood for the snow effect? And what type of wood did you use?
I usually paint my pieces with inexpensive acrylic paints and have been pleased with the wash techniques but I am very curious how the bleached wood would look.

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS