Snipe bill plane set finished

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
One thing always seems to lead to another in woodworking (part of the fun of it). I began making a spice box earlier this year. My goal is to use hand tools for all the fine work and only use table saw, planer, etc., to rough out the stock. When I got to the molding that runs around the base I decided a snipe bill plane was needed to get the profile I'd drawn. These come in pairs. I first tried to find a set to purchase, but it's not a common plane and if you are fortunate to find a vintage pair the edge is usually too far gone.

Long story short, I decided to make a set. I ordered Larry Williams video from Lie-Nielsen, found a snipe bill design online, then pulled out some quarter-sawn cherry with persimmon for the boxing. I quickly realized all the other tools I would need to make a moulding plane. As with the planes I first looked to buy these tools. Floats are also not a common item, either. Lie-Nielsen sells them but they seem to have completely shut down due to COVID and are out of stock on many items, including floats. I made a set of six floats (see previous posts, here and here). I cut the irons from O1 tool steel and used a jig on my spindle sander to taper the them (post on making the irons here).

I started making the plane set in early July and finished tempering and sharping the irons today. Here's a few pictures I made along the way.

I used a hollow and round pair to shape the profile. You can see the persimmon boxing inset along the edge to take the extra wear this part receives. Persimmon is the only species native to North America that is a member of the same family as ebony. It's very durable but I found it to be easy to work. No problems getting a fine edge. I ran the grain on the boxing with the plane rather than on a bias, as is typical. I've seen snipe bills done both ways. Time will tell if this was an acceptable design choice.
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG

The next photo shows the tempered irons. I first heated and quenched the steel in the little furnace I mention here. After this I put them in our oven at 400 degrees for an hour, then left them to cool. You can see the bronze/straw color of the tempered steel that indicates the target range. The deep purple/blue along the inside edge indicates it got a bit warmer there than I wanted (meaning the steel will be softer here). Fortunately, this part of the iron is rarely used in these planes. I was aiming for Rockwell hardness of 58-60 and am satisfied with the results.

IMG_3021.JPG

Next picture is of the finished planes. I used a couple of coats of furniture oil followed by wax and buffing for protection. The contrast of the two woods shows clearly the boxing that is used along the edge to protect this part against wear.
1630170884236.png

There's a lot of different profiles you can make using these planes. Not what I will be doing on the spice box, but here's a sample of some parallel beading I did to test these planes. The final round over was done with a #4 hollow. To start the cut I used a marking gauge to score a line. The fine edge of plane easily follows the score. After a couple of light passes to deepen the valley, plane away!

IMG_3024.JPG

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, your tools are always beautifully done and so precise execution. These will be wonderful additions to those you have already crafted!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really gorgeous set of planes!

Someday I will get there...

Thanks! You're not far behind me. Looking forward to your post when your set is complete.

I was surprised by how much other stuff I needed to make one of these planes. Now that I have the tools and have been through the process a couple of times I have plans for a few more custom planes.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was surprised by how much other stuff I needed to make one of these planes. Now that I have the tools and have been through the process a couple of times I have plans for a few more custom planes.
What else did you need, other than the floats, a forge, and the tapering jig?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Jim: That is some really nice work and I especially like the persimmon inserts. I know from experience just how much work there is making side escapement planes.
David Turner

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
What else did you need, other than the floats, a forge, and the tapering jig?

Matt, the tools you list are the main ones that I needed. In particular, I don't see how you could easily make one of these planes without the floats. Most of the basic tools (i.e., those you use in general woodworking) I already had. The one exception was a narrow chisel (1/10") as is recommended in Larry's video. When I took the class at Woodwright's School, Stephen recommended a 1/8" chisel. I found a vintage 1/10" from Old Hand Tools for a reasonable price.

There were a few other jigs I made as well. My hope is to make more escapement planes so I took the time to invest now in things I could re-use. Here's a photo of all the items I added to my toolbox in making these (aside from the furnace).

IMG_3027.JPG

In addition to the tools there are jigs for cutting the wedges on the bandsaw (angle is adjustable from 8 - 12 degrees), sawing the bed (55 degrees) and breast (65 degrees) angles, holding a wedge while you plane the thickness, and holding the iron while it's run through the tapering process (with magnets embedded).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS