Snap-in Window Grilles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Tried making these things with band saw, scrowlsaw and chisel. Got a mullion cutter from www.pricecutter.com and here's the results. Joint separated slightly for camera.

Snap-inGrille003.jpg

Snap-inGrille002.jpg

Snap-inGrille004.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a neat system. Do you cut the "V" groove for the joint before or after you cut the profiles??
Dave:)

hannah01

New User
Joe
Pretty cool. :eusa_clap

Have you put them up yet? Will they have some sort of spring clip?

I've been doing a little trim carpentry myself lately and that kind of stuff is way more complicated that it looks. Nice job.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Here's what I did this AM: (subject to revision)

1-make stepped rabbit on both edges 11/16 poplar scrap
2-Cutoff 3/8" profiled splines (See spline Jig)
3-Cut V joints on edge, even with raised center profile
4-Cut 1/4" channel centered on V joint to create half-lap joint.
5-Ease ends to clear glass window seal
6-Double sided tape buttons to mount

Joe

Dave, on this bunch below, I made the V cut first. But since these joints are absolute 'GO-NO GO', I had to go back for a finishing pass anyway. The slop factor is in the thousandths at the intersections, with 8 sides and 2 verticals coming together and even freshly planned wood can vary in thickness a few thousandths across it's surface. Nevertheless, none of that is a show stopper even though a fellow at EJ Kidd said that these things were probably beyond a home shop. Anyway, I'm posting all this in the certain knowledge that someone in this group will want to make these in the future and this can already be here for anecdotal reference.
A proper intersection:
Snap-inGrille006.jpg

4 hours funtime results:
Snap-inGrille005.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS