Smithy SuperShop as a drill press and lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've been looking for one of these for a while - finally found one and picked it up yesterday from a member here (thanks again, Jordan!).

This machine is generally grouped in with the ShopSmith and it's clones (TotalShop, EuroShop, etc), but could be considered more of an evolution than a clone - I'll get to that later. But it was quite obviously inspired by the ShopSmith - at a casual glance it is the same tool:

SSS.jpg

While the ShopSmith design has its detractors, users seem to agree it makes an excellent drill press and a pretty good lathe (as well as horizontal boring and disc sanding). It was those first two that had me looking at ShopSmiths - I'd love to upgrade my little 8" Delta benchtop drill press to something more useful...and I don't have a lathe at all but would like to try it. Unfortunately, the ShopSmith only goes down to 700 RPM, which negates one of the primary reasons I wanted to upgrade from my little drill press - to spin big bits (which requires a much lower speed). I had pretty much given up on that idea until I stumbled upon some information about the SuperShop. The drive mechanism is completely different from the ShopSmith - employing a variable-speed DC motor in three speed ranges (via belt change) that allows it to go down to 32 rpm (claimed). This solves the RPM problem for me - and it is one of the (IMO) improvements over the SuperShop that makes it an evolution, rather than a clone.

In addition. the SuperShop weighs more than double the ShopSmith - the low weight being one of the only gripes about it's performance as a lathe. I don't have a lathe and would like to try it. So about a year ago, I started putting out searches for the Smithy SuperShop (SSS). They're pretty rare. I found one a few weeks ago and brought it home yesterday.

It is in fair condition and I got a discount because it's missing a critical part. This picture shows three gear shafts unsupported on the lower end - there is a bracket missing that holds the other end of those three shafts. These move the powerhead along the way tubes so until I find or make a replacement, I have to move the powerhead manually (and very carefully). The manufacturer, Smithy, no longer makes the SuperShop but they do make other machines (mostly metalworking mills and lathes). I emailed them about a replacement and haven't heard back after a week. I'll call them Monday, but am not optimistic about getting the part - may have to make it myself.

SSS-missing-part.jpg

Here is the SuperShop in vertical drill press configuration:

SSS-drillpress.jpg

and here I've tested out the lower speed range with a 2" Forstner in oak:

SSS-drill-forstner.jpg

I manually measured it running at about 54 RPM - not sure if it'll really make it down to 32 RPM, but I had it running at about 200 (I'd guess) with the Forstner and it cut nicely at that lower speed (my existing press goes down to 680).

So far, there are a couple of features that I hope will make it a really good drill press:
- table is big
- quill feed handles on both sides
- both the powerhead and the table move on the tubes, so I'm able to get the work at a comfortable height. With the table at the lowest position, it was at the right height for my kids and near the upper end, the table is at chest height - which I find comfortable for myself.
- The carriage that supports the table has a motor to move it on the tubes (this was optional, I think), which means that adjusting the table up and down is as easy as flipping the switch.
- the table tilts forward and back rather than side to side - which,in combination with the fence, should make center-drilling cylinders and other angled operations easy
- 5" quill range with nice depth stop and a quill lock.

The included fence is pretty poor - I expect to make my own as well as a table cover with replaceable inserts. It has a really nice miter gauge, but it uses a non-standard miter bar. Otherwise, I'd probably make a lot of use of the miter gauge on my other tools. Might be able to replace the bar?

Another technical details that I find interesting and may put to use at some point: Smithy sold the SuperShop as capable of light-duty metal work. It has a big (3" diameter) 4-bearing quill with an R8 chuck. I'd like to try it with brass and aluminum to make hardware for my projects. I'm assuming that the motorized carriage was intended for milling operations?

As a lathe, it is is 34x17, so it'll probably handle anything I want to try except for really small work. Because of the carriage that sits between the powerhead and the tailstock, I've read that it cannot do really short pieces - I haven't actually measured what the minimum is. I would like to be able to make dowels for projects - hopefully this won't be a limitation for me. That carriage could be removed, but would appear to be a non-trivial operation.

As I get the machine fixed, tuned up and explore the capabilities, I'll report back what I find. I consider this an experiment -- it's possible I'll scrap this plan, sell it and get a regular press and perhaps a lathe if I can find the room.

Back to the my new toy.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Chris, Congratulations! I have a friend with a shopsmith who is very pleased with it. Sounds like you have researched and found a super version for sure. Extra good that you got it through one of our own! I'd never heard of this tool, but from your description might wish I had.
Sounds like it should be capable of doing quite a lot. I wouldn't fret too much even if you can't do small lathe work as a small lathe can often be found reasonably priced.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Looks like I got lucky - I called Smithy yesterday morning and much to my surprise, they still stock parts for the SuperShop. The missing part is on it's way - should be here tomorrow.

:eusa_danc

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice floor in your shop. How'd you get that thing in there? An all terrain forklift?

DaveD

New User
Dave
Hi, you sure have come a long way from the time we picked up that air compressor!
That R8 'snout' is going to get you into trouble! You have taken your first baby step into the realm of metalworking weather you know it or not:thumbs_upMetalworking and the 'tooling' needed is a very slippery slope from which recovery is nigh on impossible.;)

From a 'R8' standpoint go over to www.use-Enco.com and look at their hot deals flyer. You can buy a whole set of R8 collets for probably $70. They come in 1/16" increments up to about 1-⅛". The collets are typically held in by a drawbar going all the way through the spindle. It's under that tapered cap on the opposite end from the chuck end.

Twist the cap counter clockwise and it probably pops right off. That's how my mill works. Loosen drawbar a few turns and rap it on the end with a wood mallet. That will dislodge the R8 collet from the spindle and the drill chuck will fall right out!!! Continue unscrewing the drawbar by hand about another ½" and the collet will fall right out. Then you can pull the drawbar out. Don't lose any washers on the drawbar.

Reverse direction to put back together. There may be an indexing pin up in the quill that stops the collet from turning as you tighten the drawbar. Sometimes they shear off. No big deal, really not needed. Don't over tighten draw bar. My drawbar has a roll pin in the end of it that will shear off if I over tighten it. The collet is a precision fit up into the quill and it's really held by friction.

I'll be glad to spend some time with you and show you the basics of what kinds of opportunities that R8 snout may offer you. I have a 'little 600#" table top milling machine pretty well outfitted. Just let me know. Time wise I'm pretty flexible.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Hi, you sure have come a long way from the time we picked up that air compressor!
That R8 'snout' is going to get you into trouble! You have taken your first baby step into the realm of metalworking weather you know it or not.

Hey Dave! Do I recall that you were showing me some of your ironwork that morning?

I'm well aware that this tool purchase has put me at the edge of not one, but TWO slippery slopes - metalwork and that spinny stuff. I'm living dangerously :eek:

I did research the spindle mechanics and removed it for inspection before purchase. It came with 1/4 and 3/4 collets. The drill chuck and lathe center & faceplate use the 3/4 collet. 1/4 looks unused.

I'd love to see your setup and then have you take a look at mine and give me some tips - I could use all the help I can get.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Rumor has it that the guy who came up with Supershop worked for Shopsmith and tried to sell them on his ideas. This machine is the "T-Rex" of all-in-one machines. I have never see one in person, but I known about them far before Smithy started selling them. The machine has been around for a good many years. That powered carrage is said to be able to machine steel.

I was introduced to Shopsmith in 7th grade shop in Monroe, LA. in the early 50's. My shop teacher was in his 1st. class out of LSU. Magna had filled a room with the new mark V machines and let the future shop teachers have at it. After Mr. Pennington tols about the Shopsmith I knew I had to have one. Got my 1st. old "greeny" in the 60's and now have a 520. I now have a lot of stand alone machines so my 520 is now a drill press, and a darn good one. There's a speed reducer available from Shopsmith for those large bits.

Pop G.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
There's a speed reducer available from Shopsmith for those large bits.

Ya know, I knew there was a speed reducer, but I could not find any examples of it being used in drill press configuration. I am under the impression that it attaches to the same side where the drill chuck goes. If that is true, how do you extend the quill to drill...the reducer is in the way.:confused:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Chris, Yea I know it's not very clear. When you're using the speed reducer on the lathe the bottom clamp is tight. When on the drill press it is loose with the clamp being only tight enough to stablize it. It slides up and down the way tubes. It attaches to the quill with a coupler going into the speed reducer. I'm not happy with the sliding so I don't use in the drill press mode. I haven't had any trouble with up to 3.25" at the 700 rpm. speed. It's a little fast, but it still works without burning the bit.

Pop

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Now that you've said it (the reducer sliding up and down), I recall hearing that and deciding that was not a usable arrangement. I have not had the same results as you - I find that 700 RPM is too fast for the big bits. Even a 2" forstner seems to benefit from the lower speeds and my attempts with a rosette cutter at higher speeds were disastrous. But if it works for you, then I can't argue it. For me, since the speed was one of my two primary reasons for upgrading my drill press, the ShopSmith was not in the running.

That reminds me - I need to try my rosette cutter on the SuperShop tonight.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Chris, I think you're going to like the Supershop drill press a lot more than a Shopsmith. As I understand it, it is a very powerful machine.

Pop

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Chris, I think you're going to like the Supershop drill press a lot more than a Shopsmith. As I understand it, it is a very powerful machine.

You're right - I already like it compared to my previous drill press and I'm sure it'll work out better for me than a ShopSmith.

Whether or not it will become a permanent part of my shop, however, is still to be determined. My shop space is pretty limited and I'm nearing that limit. The space now occupied by the SuperShop was previously dedicated to my press, mortiser, scroll saw and a tool cabinet. In drill press mode, most of that space is wasted. I'm experimenting with an arrangement that puts the mortiser and scroll saw on the bed of the SuperShop in a way that is easy to get out of the way for the (rare?) occasions that I need to use it as a lathe. That leaves the tool cabinet to be relocated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS