Smithshop V or VII worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srminosky

New User
Shawn
Looking online for reviews has lead me down many advertising holes with no real reviews, I searched this site but nothing solid I have found. So

can any one speak on the smith shop system? It looks cool and appears functional but so does everything "as seen on TV"

thank you all much!!!

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I used to have one with a LOT of accessories (Model 510 w/bandsaw, jointer, jig saw, speed reducer, etc. and a lot of upgrades). I think the ShopSmith is a well made, quality tool. I ended up selling it since I didn't like always having to change out the accessories whenever I needed to do something. It seemed that it was always configured for the tool that I didn't need at the time (i.e. set up vertically for drilling when I needed to use the saw). If you shop around, you can find some pretty good deals on used units and accessories.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had one since 1980 and still use all it's functions except the tablesaw, because I already have a full size tablesaw and I'm not too fond of tilting table type saws. Since the quill feed is 6" it makes a very good drill press and horizontal boring machine. Once you get used to doing so, switching from function to function usually takes less than a minute. It has a lathe function and if the machine is properly weighted (I use a shop made accessories box hanging on the machine tubes) it will work fairly well, considering it's not a $3,000 Powermatic! In fact, I bought the machine to turn 6 fat stair spindles with the lathe duplicator accessory. Mine came with the bandsaw, jointer and scroll saw. Any questions, feel free to PM.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I had one for several years and found that I could do just about anything I wanted with it. I bought mine used. Like those above you become used to switching from mode to mode. The only downside with that is when you need to go back to a precise setup to redo or recut a prior mistake. If you are short on space, it is a good machine. I have found that with some shopping on craigs list, etc, you can probably find good used equipment to do most of what the SS will do for less than a new SS costs. I am talking the five basic functions here not the add ons. The only thing really missing would be the horizontal borer. After I started acquiring stand-alone machines the only thing I really miss is the drill press function, but, the SS in drill press mode takes up twice the floor space as a standard drill press so I had to let it go for a standard drill press.

George

AndyET

New User
Andy
I used one for over 20 years but had some problems with the speed control from time to time. I was unable to get repair parts during my last set of problems because of something at ShopSmith. I have since given my system to my son-in-law who has a system that he can merge with mine and have one that works.

I am ready to retire and do hobby stuff now anyhow.

I would highly recommend the shopsmith system to you if you can get a new one with the PowerPro headstock. Don't know what the delivery time of that is, though.

Regards,

Andy

Srminosky

New User
Shawn
I appreciate all the in put sorry I have been delequent in responding. I requested more information from the manufacture but the one question I can't seem to get answered from their propaganda is can you miter cut with it? Their information package is not friendly at all. sounds like a reliable kit from the reviews here and maybe I should look into a used one as mentioned.

Thank you all!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You can miter cut as well as compound miter cut. But remember, the table is relatively small and large/long pieces can be cumbersome. If get out my way, I'll check you out in the Mark V.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I've used a Shopsmith for the last 12 years or so. Like others have noted, the need to reconfigure for various functions is there. Whether a hindrance or not is debatable.

For a few years I had two Shopsmiths after buying one from a neighbor whose failing eyesight made woodworking an unsafe activity. I kept one configured as a bandsaw, the other as a jointer. My daughter's in-laws needed a bandsaw to keep up with a budding lawn swing business, so I sent one to her.

The only complaint I really have is the constant need for an accessory to fit a Shopsmith. Their website has about everything you could need, but their price model indicates they're aware proprietary sizes generate top profits. I spent an awful lot of time finding non-Shopsmith items that would fit or serve as an adapter.

I still use the lathe - including the speed reducer - for large items, roughing green wood, etc. I was never fond of the table saw. From its blade height to the tiny table, it was never very practical for my needs.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I was exposed to the brand new Shopsmith Mark V in the early 50s. I bought my 1st in the mid 60s. It was a used "Greenie". Shopsmith has had it's ups & downs. The company started in the late 40s with the Mark10E (experimental), then came the Mark10ER (experimental revised). Then came the MarkV. The company was involved in a labor dispute and moved from Ohio to Jackson, Mississippi. At the same time they introduced the MarkVII. This was a very complicated machine and the labor force has a very tough time building it. (I have never seen one that worked like it should have) The company was reduced to parts only. A Gentleman from Dayton, Ohio found the company and bought it. Moved it back to Ohio. That is the company that exist today. There were 3 machines The Mark V, the Mark V510 & the Mark V520. Their new machine the Mark VII (no kin to the old Mark VII) has a new drive system based on a computer controlled motor. It's pricey around $3000.

I've had a 520 for about 15 years. I now have a full shop of stand alone tools. My 520 is a drill press. I still would not part with it. The ability to convert to different machines makes it able to be configured to do things that other equipment can't do. It is also my back-up machine should something break on my stand alones.

Well, That's enough talk. If you need more info send me PM.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS