Small used tool score....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Got 4 Buck Brothers chisels and an 8" drawknife in the mail today, all used, via ebay.
The chisels need a little love and attention to the edge,which I expected, the drawknife needs a fair bit of cleaning up besides the edge needing attention, but it seems sound overall.
Truth be told, I know very little about how good, or not so good a brand the chisels are, I suppose Buck Brothers might be an offshoot of Buck knives, but thats conjecture on my part.
The drawknife is a Lakeside, which I have never heard of.
Regardless, they will make a good little project of trying to bring them up to snuff, and I've only got $32 in them total, so I figure I could't get beat up too badly.......

004.jpg005.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You can figure you got the chisels free and Buck used to be a good brand but the plastic handles are not as good.

Bill showed me a set very similar to that where he replaced the plastic with very nice turned wood handles and they really looked a lot better.

that draw knife will clean up and work great. Let us see it when you are done.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
The drawknife could be from a couple of alternatives. Ward's (better known as Montgomery-Wards) used the brand name "Lakeside" for many of their tools, much like Sears used Craftsman and Dunlap. For example, I know that HC Marsh Company of Rockford, IL made both the Marsh line of bench planes and the Rockford line -- the latter were also supplied to Wards with the name Lakeside stamped into the plane irons (some of the body castings had the typical Rockford size markings like R4 for a #4 plane, but some were made without any such markings). I am not aware that the Marsh Company ever made drawknives. Since Ward's bought tools from many sources, another possibility is the Lakeside Forge Company, a metal foundry and drop forge company of Erie, PA that operated in the early 1900's. They were known for making wrenches that carried a marking very much like the one on your drawknife. My best guess it that it is a Montgomery Ward tool, but the actual maker is unknown.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
The drawknife could be from a couple of alternatives. Ward's (better known as Montgomery-Wards) used the brand name "Lakeside" for many of their tools, much like Sears used Craftsman and Dunlap. For example, I know that HC Marsh Company of Rockford, IL made both the Marsh line of bench planes and the Rockford line -- the latter were also supplied to Wards with the name Lakeside stamped into the plane irons (some of the body castings had the typical Rockford size markings like R4 for a #4 plane, but some were made without any such markings). I am not aware that the Marsh Company ever made drawknives. Since Ward's bought tools from many sources, another possibility is the Lakeside Forge Company, a metal foundry and drop forge company of Erie, PA that operated in the early 1900's. They were known for making wrenches that carried a marking very much like the one on your drawknife. My best guess it that it is a Montgomery Ward tool, but the actual maker is unknown.

Thats a lot of good information, thanks!

I'm not even sure if Montgomery Wards is still in business, but if they are, I highly doubt they are still selling Drawknifes! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS