small TV stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
This was done a few weeks back on a weekend but with christmas tree and all there was no room to bring it in. now that mess is cleaned up the little woman and myself got it out of the shop and got the TV on top. we still have to get all the AV equipment inside and hook it up but this was enough for today...:gar-Bi bsically she grunted and I supervised!:rotflm: Now the g-kids and dog can't block out my football game on sunday.:swoon: ummm.... this beast is heavy!
IMG_6689.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the top is open so this behemoth can breath. the TV is over 10 years old and one day will go to the great reality show in the sky. so I built this cabinet in a way to allow me to expand when the time comes. I will get a flat screen oneday and will add a cabinet to eithe side of this one. then i will build a top or get a granite top for the whole unit and build it in with some book shelves on the ends up top. the new flat screen will either set on it or mount to the wall between the bookshelves. someday.......:-D

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work Fred!

And I know that it must have substantial joinery to support all of that weight.

(Just before Xmas this past year out 27" tube lost its power supply quite abruptly. Had to run out and check out the new LCD's in the 32" version as a replacement. Needless to say I was amazed at the weight difference between the tube and the flat screen. Felt like I needed to tip the old fella at the recycle station to help me lift it out of the PU into the dumpster!!:gar-Bi)

Sounds like you have great plan for when the bigun' lets you down.

Is that sepele(sp)?

Wayne

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Nice work Fred!

(Just before Xmas this past year out 27" tube lost its power supply quite abruptly. Had to run out and check out the new LCD's in the 32" version as a replacement. Needless to say I was amazed at the weight difference between the tube and the flat screen. Felt like I needed to tip the old fella at the recycle station to help me lift it out of the PU into the dumpster!!:gar-Bi)

Sounds like you have great plan for when the bigun lets you down.

Is that seiple(sp)?

Wayne

yep sepele. this TV is a projection model. I bought it on clearance when the first flat screens were coming out and priced way up there! Nowadays you can get flat screen HD units for less than half what i had to part with for this beast! when the next generation comes out I'll get another clearance sale model...... cause I'm cheep...I mean froogle.:-D

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Fred you aren't fooling anyone. It probably took you about 30 minutes to build that tv stand!

Nice job btw.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Actually, you'd be surprised how relatively lightweight a projection television is. It's all the leaded glass in a CRT television that gives them their weight.

Many years ago I worked at a Circuit City and I can tell you that moving a 60-80" projection television is a very pleasant two person job (two person only because of their awkward size, not weight). On the other hand moving a 35" CRT (tube) television requires two strong men and a heck of a workout. Weight-wise the projection TV would have weighed in at 100-150lbs versus 250-300 for the tube TV.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Actually, you'd be surprised how relatively lightweight a projection television is. It's all the leaded glass in a CRT television that gives them their weight.

Many years ago I worked at a Circuit City and I can tell you that moving a 60-80" projection television is a very pleasant two person job (two person only because of their awkward size, not weight). On the other hand moving a 35" CRT (tube) television requires two strong men and a heck of a workout. Weight-wise the projection TV would have weighed in at 100-150lbs versus 250-300 for the tube TV.

awkward is correct. this one weighs a bit more than some as it has the protective glass over the screen but it is under 200 pounds. a tad heavier with my 100 pound wife sitting on the other end!:-D the cabinet is 38" high. with only an inch or so to the ceiling it had to be lifted strait up. with the glass on the front it is a little lop sided. I would guess if the front was only fabric [like most] it would have had better balance. sure is nice not having to look around the children. Just in time for the playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS