Small Projects needed for shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Everyone, Most of my work is with a scroll saw but I am always looking for small projects that are quick and easy to make to put in some upcoming fall shows. Any suggestions/patterns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pen turning comes to mind but first kiss your scroll saw beacuse once you start the saw will get lonely. Ask mine.

Seriously, small boxes and wooden toys work well.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Everyone, I am working on several small boxes. I am always a little shy in making toys because of the liability issues. It seems like everyone is law suit happy these days. Thanks for the suggestions. Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Did you look at any of the specific puzzles? I guess some people might get them for kids, but most of them are the kind of thing you might have at your desk:

shark1.jpg

cherrycobra%20031.jpg

NFI - just something I bookmarked due to personal interest; he notes that they aren't carved and one idea I have is to embellish them with a litttle carving for details. I think of them as a craft that is just more interesting because it can be taken apart, not as a toy.

As far as the rubber band gun plan goes, I agree with you completely.

OTOH, I asked a guy who sold wooden swords, shields and bows/arrows at the Ren Fairre about the liability and he said he hadn't had any trouble and thought anyone who claimed not to understand the potential danger would get laughed out of court. I think he might be a bit naive.

But don't worry, I won't take it personal or sue you if you don't use my idea. :gar-La;

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Andy, I do like the puzzles such as these that you posted. When I said toys, I was thinking more on the lines of small painted cars with wheels that could potentially come off. I really like the idea of carving more detail and even possibly some wood burning on the snake. Thanks, Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
After taking a quick look at your gallery, I do have one other suggestion. I saw the bowls and platters. Have you tried the technique where you cut them thinner with just enough miter so the rings meet up solid (no gaps)? Some of those that are sanded thin can bring good prices. There is a book on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS