Small hand injury from Window Blinds- Good info ending

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
FYI- this was 10 days ago - all healed up now.

The Backstory -
We bought an older home last year, obviously, lots of things to modernize it. One task was to replace those old vertical blinds with curtains. So, I began removing and hanging new window dressings. Things were moving along great ... until the last blind removal (always the last).

Chapter One of the Saga -
I was bringing down the last blind when it slightly slipped in my hand and evidently, there was a hooked burr on one of the metal blinds that scooped a piece of my palm flesh right out of my hand. @#&*.......... I get down and clean it up, not deep 1/8th or so deep. I bandage it up but it keeps bleeding and won't stop (this is one reason being on a aspirin regime sucks). So, after about an hour, I decide to go to the doctor.

Chapter Two- The Doc with a sense of humor
I go to the Urgent Care and get in pretty fast, they clean it and the doctor looks at it and says "wow you scooped out a piece of flesh like Jello, can't sew it as there is nothing to sew the normal skin flap is not there. We'll just do a compression bandage. Ok I said but I came in because it won't stop bleeding. Not a problem he says Ill make it stop. I'll use Silver Nitrate, but I gotta tell you it will sting and hurt A LOT. But the best part is I won't feel a thing........... Ahhh gallows humor....... Like it lets do it.

Chapter Three - The treatment
Now when he applied this stuff ........... well it definitely was an epiphany ........ sting yeeaow........... that stuff REALLY Stung, but the bleeding stopped. Of course, it is a chemical cauterizer. By the way, the agent they use to neutralize it ? Saline (salt water), salting the wound was a relief........... who knew ? The bleeding stopped and they put the compression bandage on and that was that. One other thing, this stuff will stain your skin and that stain will have to wear off, that is a bit of a downside. The reason why in the pix there is staining all over the base of the thumb, that was the chemical being spread by the bleeding until it stopped. should have told the Doc to "mask it off before painting" - :D

Epilogue -
Now most stories would end there, but craftsmen, woodworkers, scientists and dysfunctionals, well they get ideas from everything.
So, what was the 1st thing I did when I got home ? ........ Got online and bought some for the future of course. Realize this is not for deep cuts nor do I recommend anyone following my behavior, but this will prove to be useful in the future. It was only 9 bucks, another weapon in the first aid arsenal ........

Attachments

• Hand.jpg
    Hand.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 171

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I had it applied to my finger when the table saw blade got in my way. It really stings but I recommend if the bleeding doesn't stop go to a urgent care.

Reactions: Oka

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I'll add some to my patch me up kit put along side the duct tape and paper towel, I split my forehead open when auging a hole through the rim joist 3 weeks ago. Drill caught on the other side and spun, cutting me enough for some stitches. Instead of heading to emerge wrapped a towel around my head and kept working, neighbors sure gave me some looks.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
O got conked on the head by a falling 2 x 12 off a scaffold I was moving. Only fell a foot or so but put a big divot in the skin that just did not want to stop bleeding.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Silver nitrate is very serious stuff. Not good for home emergency kits. It burns everything. Ask your doctor.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes that is true That is why I put a disclaimer in the OP, for me not such an issue since I used to be a paramedic, so I know where to look up how to apply and what is the post care. Beats the hot poker cauterizing :D

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
For minor cuts, black pepper stops the bleeding. I cut myself and put pepper on the cut and continued working. When I went in to clean and bandage the wound, I washed the pepper off and the bleeding started up again. The stuff works.

Roy G

emichael

eric
User
Last week my son's dog got the tip of it's tail pinched off. He tried black pepper to stop the bleeding till the vet could stitch it up. It worked with an added benefit - the dog didn't try to lick it off after the first try.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS