Small diameter drill bit problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
When using small drill bits approx 1/8" or smaller the bit bends as it contacts the wood. Drilling a hole 3" deep has resulted in 1/4" drift on occasion. The DP is an excellent quality 17 Jet with almost no runout and I use an awl to punch the starting point to eliminate slippage. I have a variety of bits, mostly HSS that are admittedly cheap!

So, do I need better bits, and if so, what kind do you suggest?
Are there "techniques" I'm failing to apply?
Are my expectations for using small bits too high?
Will the Tarheels beat BC? :icon_thum

Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
An 1/8"!!!that's not even small, there is something serious going on there - what are you drilling? Are you clamping down the work piece? if not, does it just move sideways as you drill? it could be the way it was sharpened if so. Does the bit "wobble" as you roll it on a flat surface? Are the bits standard "jobber" length? Either that they are really nasty bits! Are your sure about the drill press?

sapwood

New User
Roger
DavidF said:
An 1/8"!!!that's not even small, there is something serious going on there - what are you drilling? Are you clamping down the work piece? if not, does it just move sideways as you drill? it could be the way it was sharpened if so. Does the bit "wobble" as you roll it on a flat surface? Are the bits standard "jobber" length? Either that they are really nasty bits! Are your sure about the drill press?

Drilling mostly soft maple.
Work is securely clamped.
Bit will move sideways (bend) as I drill.
Bits have never been sharpened.
Haven't checked the "wobble", will do so today.
Have used standard length and "long" bits.
Could be very nasty bits, mostly legacy bits from my dad of unknown origin. (But I have lots of them) A couple are cheapo Harbor Freight titanium.
I am sure about DP. I have a dial indicator with magnetic base and runout is not the problem.

Never tried to sharpen a bit :oops:

Sapwood

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Not trying to insult you, but it's so obvious that I have to ask...
Is it related to how hard you press the bit into the wood? Such as more force=more "bend"?

DavidF

New User
David
If you're having to press that hard I need to show you how to sharpen a drill bit when you come down!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not quite that dumb :lol:

I know to ease it up and down so as not to burn wood and adjust DP speed.

It's becoming increasingly clear I have dull/cheap bits. Come on guys, don't I need to spend money on better bits? ;-) What kind of forum is this that doesn't encourage one to (hint, hint) "BUY NEW STUFF"

Hmmm, DavidF could teach me how to sharpen drill bits. Wonder how much that would cost :eusa_shhh

Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
Ah, we didn't talk about cost - well, plane sharpening tuition, $25/hr + materials, less client supplied beer a grand total = $0.00. Looking forward to it. Bring the scraper, once you know how to tame it ,that will become your favorite tool!

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
There are directions in the sharpening book I have. It didn't look hard, but I haven't tried it. Next time your someplace that has woodowrking books look in a dedicated sharpening one. I'm sure someone here could give you directions, but the pics would help.

Of course new bits would work, are cheap, work better than older ones (Titaniam coated) and would save you a lot of time, frustration and maybe money (if you don't have a sharpening widget you need)... but why waste the old ones?

Now if you're jsut looking to spend money why not get a drill doctor(~$125?)? That way you have a new toy and haven't thrown anything away :eusa_whis.

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
DavidF said:
Ah, we didn't talk about cost - well, plane sharpening tuition, $25/hr + materials, less client supplied beer a grand total = $0.00. Looking forward to it. Bring the scraper, once you know how to tame it ,that will become your favorite tool!

Sharpening class at Dave's place !!! Actually I could really go for that if you feel like making a general offer. (I know I haven't posted on the skills page, but I feel bad posting with nothing to offer except beer)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
You should bring beer to the sharpening...on second thought probably a bad idea.:lol:

DavidF

New User
David
Cloudancer - sure, I'm quite happy to show anybody anything they think I can teach them - not much looking at what you all can do, but I just have limited space to take on a "class" - unlike Woodguy who could run a college program in his place:jealous: Whats wrong with offering beer? as long as it hasn't got "light" in the name, it's ok with me:icon_thum

DavidF

New User
David
As long as the beer is afterwards, no problem. The anticipation should make the job of flattening the plane sole go a bit faster!

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Humm.... now that we've good and hijacked another thread :). I honestly think the biggest problem with getting together is organization... maybe on my part ;). Besides I have to meet some folks on here soon, if for no other reason than to prove I'm not a virtual person (0 for 2 so far on attempts).

-Greg

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Dull bits would be my guess too. Thin ones, especially when they are dull tend to "walk" to the side as they spin, and it's more noticeable in a drill press as the arbor is so much more solid than if you were hand drilling.

Another thing is to make sure the DP table is perpendicular to the bit.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
sapwood said:
When using small drill bits approx 1/8" or smaller the bit bends as it contacts the wood. Drilling a hole 3" deep has resulted in 1/4" drift on occasion. Sapwood

Heck just drill a 1/4" pilot hole first and you'll never be able to notice the drift from your 1/8' bit. :lol:

Seriously, besides checking the bit for wobble as mentioned earlier you might also ensure your bit is centered perfectly in the jaws of the chuck. I know I have to lean down to get a good look at mine. I've been known to trap small diameter bits off-center between two of the jaws before. BTW, where did you find a 1/8" bit long enough to drill to a 3" depth? I have a set of brad point bits but I don't believe the 1/8" bit is that long.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cloudancer,

If DavidF don't mind your more than welcome to join me on this epic educational journey. I would even let your ride in the front of the truck :p

And to all,
I've been sorting through tools my father passed on to me for five years :eusa_doh:
There's a zillion drill bits, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, rachets and sockets, and hammers in varying condition. However, you can be sure I won't throw anything away unless it's totally defunct. :icon_thum But I don't ever think I'll get this stuff sharpened and organized. :eusa_doh:The task is overwhelming and I still don't know what some of it is :slap:

All the suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
Sapwood,Cloudancer - sure come, come on down if you want to - just keep your expectations under control:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS