Small Detail Sander

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I am looking at detail sanders....really as small as I can get.. And something to lessen the stress on my hands as much as possible. I have plenty of hook and loop sand paper that I can cut to fit on whatever I get or make. I need something for the small intricate work.

Is the MicroLux sander durable or not? MicroLux® Micro Sander

I am just looking and wanted to ask you guys. I always get led into the right direction on here!!

Well scratch the MicroLux...With the transformer it makes it expensive!!

Last edited:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Consider King Arthur's Tools pneumatic bulb sanders, flexible shaft and motor, available from Klingspor. Some of their tooling is quite small and provide a finish much like hand sanding with sand paper.

For smaller work I use an air powered 1" diameter handle, die grinder and 1/8" shank Dremel type bits, but there are many sources available for 1/8" shank sanders, carvers, and cutting bits. You can get one from Industrial Suppliers like WT Tool, Grainger, Johnstone Supply, etc. A Dremel tool does not spin fast enough, nor is the Dremel tool small enough to use comfortably, so I prefer the 1" air powered tool.

For even smaller details I use my Paragrave air powered power carver that uses dental 1/16" shank dental type bits. There are carbide, diamond, and stone bits available. The Paragrave carver is no longer available, but there are others by SCM and Power Carver still available.

Yes, you can both carve and sand with powered rotary tools, if they turn fast enough. The air powered versions do.
My Paragrave tool turns at about 100,000 rpm. Using it is like drawing with a Magic Marker. There is no side pull at all.

I have tried several sanding tools that wiggle the sand paper, and none have impressed me. I received the Ryobi version as a gift, and that thing shook my hand harder than it did the sand paper. I don't think you with arthritis will do well using one of these type sanders.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS