Small box back joinery ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W.

New User
Mike Weinberger
I am putting together a small [4 " high x 12" wide ] two drawer jewlery box out of Walnut and would like to finish the back with thin stock since it will be visable in a mirror . I have some 3/16 walnut Iwould like to use. My concern is with wood movement. Any suggestions on how to install the back? Any help would be appreciated, Thanx, Mike W.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, what type of joinery are you using for the rest of the box? Also, will there be a fixed piece at both sides, top and bottom of the box? If so, I think I would cut a 3/16" dado in all four pieces and let your back panel float in the dado. Others might have some better ideas.

D L

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Mike,
I've been working on a prototype for a 68" wide display case, and on the back of it I used 1/2" resawn material and tongue & grooved the edges on it and it worked fine, looks good except a couple of joints opened up a bit- prove your fears correct huh? Tongue & groove may be a bit tricky on 3/16", probably too thin. Might consider a ship lap joint on something that thin, that should work fine. Just make sure your wood is good & dry. Might set it over the heat vent in the house for a day or 2 before you cut it.
My Best
Randy O

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll throw my vote in for the ship lap joint. It is very traditional, attractive, and nothing will split on you later. Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
I'd go with the floating panel, maybe even raise (as in raised panel) with a small bevel raise - would look nice and not just a flat piece

Mike W.

New User
Mike Weinberger
Thank You all for your advice . Iwill try to make a floating raised panel, hopefully the 3/16 will give me enough meat to have it look right. I'm waiting for a couple of router bits from MLCS, maybe by the weekend and I can start machining and assembly. Thanx Again, Mike

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, don't forget to post some photos of your work. We all love to see not only finished projects but works in progress too.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors