small benchtop belt/disc sanders. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi,
I've been considering one of these combination belt/disc sanders. I have a ROS and thought this would be a reasonable addition. Does anyone have something like these and what do you think?

Amazon.com: ACCURA 01428 42" x 1" BELT-8" DISC SANDER: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Palmgren 81081 1-Inch/2-Inchx42-Inch Belt, 8-Inch Disc Sander, 3/4 HP: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Wilton 4002 1 X 42 Belt Disc Sander #: Home Improvement

The accura and wilton look like the same machine, except for the $100 price difference.
Todd

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Might consider a portable belt sander.

I use mine a lot, but sometimes mount it for use as a stationary tool. Dewalt sells a mounting fixture for their sander.

For the disc sander, one option is a sanding discs for the table saw. Or, being super cheap, dull/grind the teeth off an old saw blade and use some spray adhesive :)

I've know several friends who got the cheaper combos (Ryobi) and they felt they came up short. In the end, one keeps borrowing my belt sander.

On the other hand, who doesn't wanna get new tools!!

Jim

Toddler

New User
Todd
I borrow my neighbor's portable belt sander when I need one. On the ones I linked the belt has no backing so I can use it for contours easier.

The Palmgren is heavier and seems to have twice as much motor, but it is essentially a bench grinder. I suspect the other two are using a belt to drive the sanding belt so maybe they run slower. I also really think the wilton and accura are identical, but I didn't know Wilton was a big enough name to raise the price that much.

That Delta which is on sale seems to have the worst reviews of any tool on Amazon. I don't love Amazon reviews, but four out of four ones . . . :-(

Todd

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That Delta which is on sale seems to have the worst reviews of any tool on Amazon. I don't love Amazon reviews, but four out of four ones . . . :-(

Todd

Just read the reviews! You are right. I would shop around too after seeing their remarks. (The old adage holds true again....you get what you pay for!)

My apologies...

Wayne

Toddler

New User
Todd
Nah, it was a nice tip Wayne. Thanks for mentioning it. I like to sort amazon reviews into lowest first and see if I might have the same issues the reviewers have. Didn't have to sort that one :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have the Delta Shopmaster 6" disk/4" belt sander. I use it a lot and it works great for its size, until the switch died a few days ago :crybaby2:

Dave:)

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
Hi,
I've been considering one of these combination belt/disc sanders. I have a ROS and thought this would be a reasonable addition. Does anyone have something like these and what do you think?

Amazon.com: ACCURA 01428 42" x 1" BELT-8" DISC SANDER: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Palmgren 81081 1-Inch/2-Inchx42-Inch Belt, 8-Inch Disc Sander, 3/4 HP: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Wilton 4002 1 X 42 Belt Disc Sander #: Home Improvement

The accura and wilton look like the same machine, except for the $100 price difference.
Todd

What is it that you expect the sander to do? Those benchtop models are not known for power. I would advise you to try before you buy. I had a Jet 9" disc & 6X48" belt combo, and it just didn't cut it for me. So, I wound up with a Powermatic 31A, and now I'm satisfied. :)

rhett

New User
rhett
I also use the Delta 6" disk/4" belt but it is the model before they renamed it shop master. It looks exactly the same in all regards, maybe Delta is cutting corners with the newer addition. I have had this little guy for almost 5 years and have never had a single issue.

M

McRabbet

I have a 3" x 21" Craftsman Belt Sander that I've had for years and years and it just keep running, but for my stationary sanding needs, I have a small benchtop oscillating spindle sander (the Grizzly G583 is $150)
g0538.jpg

and a Grizzly G1014Z 6" x 48" Belt/9" disc sander (about $370)
g1014z.jpg

that meet all of my needs...

Except for the 26" Woodmaster Drum Sander for raised panels, that is...

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Todd,
I'm sure many folks have lots of use for the small combo sander. But frankly, my 4" belt, 6" disc sander doesn't get much use. The flaky construction of the table for the disc sander makes it difficult to hold 90º or 45º. I would encourage you to consider a dedicated belt sander and a dedicated disc sander (10-12") or at least a large combo that has a big disc sander.

My $.0002,
Roger

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Good thread for me. I too was wondering about these combo's. When my 30% off coupon and I were in HF shopping, they had one of their small combo sanders on sale. I was wondering about trying to sharpen chisels, turning tools, etc on it. I'm just not good at sharpening. Just not......good...at alllllll.........:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Tom

Toddler

New User
Todd
There seem to be two types of belt sanders. The wider ones with a back, and the thin ones which don't. All the sanders I'm looking at have the unsupported belt because they seem like they'll conform to small outside curves better and the disc seemed like it would do strait edges.

I'll go looking more.

Todd

KC7CN

New User
Don
....and a Grizzly G1014Z 6" x 48" Belt/9" disc sander (about $370)
g1014z.jpg

that meet all of my needs...

Except for the 26" Woodmaster Drum Sander for raised panels, that is...

Rob

FWIW, I have this old Craftsman 6"x48" belt/9" Disk sander that I use a lot.
1_P1000825.jpg

I use the belt in the upright position with the table. I never use the disk for two reasons. 1) the disk on this old sander has to much lateral play, and 2) the sandpaper disk is a pain to replace and doesn't last long.
What makes this tool useful is the table, and an assortment of jigs for making circles, 45 degree fence for fine tuning miter joints, etc.

This sander has plenty of power (1HP motor). I buy belts from Sears; the light blue belts cost about $10 and last a long time.

Here's a Photo Album link that illustrates the dust collector upgrade:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=840&ppuser=

My next sander will be an oscillating spindle sander.

-Don

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
My sander is an old Sears 6" X 48" with a 3/4HP motor that cost more than the sander. Look carefully at your entended use, the small units have a small table which doesn't support well. If you sand small things the 6" belts can sometimes get in the way as you turn it on the table---the 1" and 2" belts work better there. I found I could stop the belt on mine with a big block of wood when using a 1/2 Hp motor. So I bought a bigger motor and ran the belt faster. I think it is a 3.5" to 2: pully with a 1725 RPM motor. Sharp belts always help.

rhett

New User
rhett
You may consider buying 10" calibration disc from freud which can be used on your table saw for a very nice disc sander. A stationary spindle sander would meet your contour needs and allow for changing of the radius. This set up would handle most of your sanding needs with out buying a very large/expensive combo machine.

Toddler

New User
Todd
That seems like a good idea. Jim suggested a sanding disk too.

Sure would make for a nicer table than the little ones have, and I guess it'd give me something to do with my skill tablesaw when I replace it. I wonder if I could fit a 12" disk in there?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a 6x48" belt and 12" disc from Jet. I rarely if ever use the disc. I love the belt, but wish it was horizontal and oscillating.

I got to stop by the woodworking show in Chantilly, VA today, and was quite impressed with the Ridgid. It has both an oscillating belt and can convert to an oscillating drum. Very flexible, tilt top table, and appeared to be very sturdy and well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS