Small bandsaw blade advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I snapped the band on my 17" Grizzly bandsaw recently and need to replace it. I use this saw for everything but resawing, and the band that I snapped was 1/4" deep, around .028 thick, and 10 tpi. I really like the general purpose nature of this band.

The Grizzly band worked well, but before ordering a replacement I thought that I would query the NCWW "Brain Trust" to see if anybody had any advice concerning high quality narrow bands.

I don't need any type of carbide tipped resaw bands - I'm well covered there with my horizontal resaw. In this instance, I just need a great band for general purpose work that will let me make tight cuts.

Suggestions?

Thx.

Scott

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've found that at 3/8" 10 TPI blade does well for about everything I do. I'm buying Lennox blades made to order from Precision Saw Works in Polkton, NC. Good prices and great service. They also do planer blades, new and reground. Nice folks. :wsmile:

Truefire

New User
Chris
Scott i have also picked up some decent blades in this sizing from Home Depot in the past, which i am certain you thought of that being the big box store that it is. But heck, just my two cents worth.

Chris

Ben325e

New User
Ben
It cracks me up that you ask this, Scott :)

If we have questions about needing a 30" planer or a bandsaw capable of 40" resaws or a shop drill press that could easily substitute as an oil drilling rig, you would probably post pictures of your own equipment to match, but when it comes to something small, you have to ask around!

It just further cements your reputation as a guy who believes in the phrase "Go big, or go home!"

:gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Timber Wolf bands from Suffolk Machinery, but I may get some bands from other suppliers (such as Woodcraft) and compare them.

Ben - you crack me up!

Mark, it appears that Spectrum sells Lennox bands. I use their carbide tipped Tri-master's on my resaw, and they truly do an excellent job! I just wish that I could find someone that could sharpen carbide tipped bandsaw bands (Laguna won't touch other bands), as they are quite expensive to replace ($200.00 each - ouch!).

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Timber Wolf bands from Suffolk Machinery, but I may get some bands from other suppliers (such as Woodcraft) and compare them.

Ben - you crack me up!

Mark, it appears that Spectrum sells Lennox bands. I use their carbide tipped Tri-master's on my resaw, and they truly do an excellent job! I just wish that I could find someone that could sharpen carbide tipped bandsaw bands (Laguna won't touch other bands), as they are quite expensive to replace ($200.00 each - ouch!).

I looked at the Tri-Masters. Big bucks. For your smaller saw you could try the Woodmaster CT. The 143" blade for my 19" saw was ~$110. But, they only sell them in 1" and 2" widths.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Ben - you crack me up!

I think Precision can sharpen those carbide blades. Look here:
http://www.csaw.com/csawenews/Precision_Saw_Spotlight_web.pdf

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have had very good luck with Farris Belt & Saw here in Charlotte. They custom weld any size from stock blade. They can most likely sharpen your carbide blades.

Bill "Pop" Golden

eyekode

New User
Salem
I like woodcraft bands a lot too. That guy knows his stuff. And his welds are impeccable. I am about to order some more bands for my 18" as well and he will get my money. He is about 1/2 the price of timberwolf bands and they do not seem inferior to me. In fact the resaw blade I bought from him was < 1/2 the price and is really a stand out.
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS