Small Air Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have one problem and two questions.

1. I bought a small H-F oil lubricated air compressor about a year ago. It has worked great until yesterday. It will not generate more than 40 psi and there is air coming out of the intake filter. I am thinking that the intake valve is stuck open and is trying to suck and compress air at the same time. My question: If I take the head off of the cylinder, am I going to be able to repair/replace the valve and is it worth the effort and money since it cost $88.00 new?

I am going to tear it apart anyway since it is no good like it is.

2. If I can't repair/replace the valve, what is a good, small, portable air compressor (30-40 pounds) is that reliable and can handle no more than 1 framing nailer without burning it self out? Oil lubricated vs Oilless?

Thanks for any input and advice.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Some of the ones I have seen have valves that are strips of metal like in a coil spring in a lawnmower rewind assembly and were easy to replace, IF you can get the parts. The head gaskets were a breeze.

I have a 20 gallon Campbell Hausfield portable oilless that has worked pretty good, but it is loud. Price was right around $100.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Travis is right, most of those cheap compressors have thin metal reed valves. If you can't find the part you can make one out of stainless steel shim stock. You may even go a few thou thicker than the original.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have gone thru a fair amount of small compresors over the years. For running a single framing gun I think the best is a twin stack. The PC is very strong but tends to trip a 20 amp circuit ( you need to find a separate circuit and use a 10 g cord). The Hitachi draws less power but is loud. The Dewalt seems to be the best out there right now. I have had my PC twin stack since 1995 and it has never been serviced - just keeps running, however, it is a bit heavy and power hungry. I also have a PC pancake that is much lighter and is strong enough to run a framing gun but it will be working hard. IMO I would not consider any less than the standard brands. The cheaper ones are a little less money and a lot less quality. phil

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The unreliability of small compressors & the awkwardness of having a hose follow you around might make you consider an impulse nailer. I have just about every kind of air nailer made from Spotnail to Fasco to Porter-Cable & before I drag a bulky hot dog compressor around many more days I'll have an impulse gun. Our company has one & it's a dream to work with.
Having said MTCW, you may only need to clean off the reed valves & seats. Sometimes dirt from a faulty air filter will stick on the reed seats, not letting them seal off. A little Copper Coat gasket material should solve the cylinder head issue if it isn't an O ring. RTV silicone will work too but let it cure.

jrevans

New User
James
It also depends on your nailer. Some nailers blow a lot more exhaust air per shot than others. That'll deplete your tank and keep the motor running a lot more.

Dewalt and PC make good compressors. Check out Ingersoll Rand, most of their compressors are rated for a 100% continuous duty cycle. Run the motor all day if you want. The DD2T2 is $290 at Amazon and Northern Tool, about $100 less than the PC C3551.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I took the head off of the cylinder assembly and found that a head gasket had, in fact, blown as some of you suggested. I used some Permatex Form-a-Gasket to seal the cylinder head to the valve assembly. I am letting it set overnight. Hopefully this will work, but if not, I will fabricate another gasket. Other than that the cylinder, piston, etc. looked fine.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I will let you know if I have fixed it.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Fired up the compressor this morning. Worked like a charm. Don't know how long the repair will last, but at least now I know where to look for the fix.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mine did same thing.....had it rebuilt..new rings an such....bout 35 bucks....works like new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS