Slow but stready progress with the armoire and wardrobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
It feels great to finally share some pics with you all. When our time has permitted, Becky and I have been working between 2 different refinishing projects simultaniously (a large alder and birch armoire, and a 1930s/40ish cedar wardrobe.) We also have a 1955 Lane Cedar Chest that's waiting as well. We purchased the three items for next to nothing at the local Restore Warehouse.

I currently have the armoire completely disassembled, and all the parts are divided evenly into three groups. From what I can tell, whomever previously worked on the armoire, attempted to either change the original tone or sheen, and the resulting chemistry was a disaster (everything from bubbling and bleeding to uneven sheen and tone throughout the entire armoire). Therefore, I'm currently stripping and sanding each individual piece to prepare for a new finish.

Here's a sample of the finish prior to any of my personal prepping:

IMG_03441.jpg

Here's some of the pieces which are nearly prepped for finishing:

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_03371.jpg

I still have quite a ways to go with the prep work, but I'm making steady progress. I've always liked the saying "Even the best finish can't overcome an ill-prepared surface". I believe the more I put into it, the more I'll enjoy it when it's completed.

Here are a couple pics of the cedar wardrobe we are also begining to work on. There is a very hard, ?"bleeding-sap"? that covers practically the entire exterior:

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Here's after just a few runs with a portable sander:

IMG_0332.jpg

Progress is definately slow but steady...
Thank you all for allowing me to share an update! :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like you are making some nice progress. I have an antique bedroom suit that belonged to my grand parents that I need to do sometime. I am about afraid to start on it though. I have never done any Re-finishing.

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
I'm very new to finishing myself. I recently picked up a great book; Bob Flexnar's second edition of "Understanding Wood Finishing-How to select and apply the right finish", and would highly recommend it for anyone interested in wood finishing. Although I'm still in the begining portions of the book, I love how it's covered with great charts and illustrations, and dispells alot of myths and confusions regarding finishing.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HBNTDFGSPTHJ4XZ6M9X

Thank you for your response, and I wish the best with restoring/finishing the antique bedroom suit. :eek:ccasion1

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks like a lot a hard work, Mike. However, your patient approach and willingness to do it right will yield big dividends :icon_thum

Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks great! Do you find you have to make repairs/ adjustments as well in addition to redoing the finish? That's the part that would always worry me.

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Thanks, Roger and Bas! I've been quite lucky so far, in not having to make too many repairs or adjustments. If you look closely at the front view of the cedar wardrobe, you'll notice the right side door is in need of repair (broken joint). I spoke with John (skysharks) while having lunch with some of our other members from here in Fayetteville, and John advises using a biscuit joint for the repair. :icon_thum :icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Mike, you obviously have a LOT of patience, and the hard work is definitely showing. If you are in need of a biscuit jointer, I can always toss mine in the car, with a fair selection of biscuits that should fit 'bout anything you need. I must caution, however, that it is the DW bj, and as such, does not have the FF biscuit capability of the Delta machine.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Great work and thanks for sharing the pix. I hope you'll keep us updated with more.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
You are off to a good start, but I don't think so much sanding is necessary. You should try a "varnish remover". It will save you many hours of work and leave the surfaces as close to the original look as possible.

I think that finish on your cedar chest is just a failed finish. Early varnishes seemed to alligator like that over time from age and heat. I refinished an old family heirloom cedar chest with a failed finish that looked very much like yours using only Formbys Varnish Remover. It went really well and was quite easy to do, as it only requires rubbing the finish off with 000 steel wool soaked and kept wet with the Formbys stripper. You basically just rinse your steel wool pad in the remover frequently and then continue to rub off the old finish and dirt. Sanding was only necessary in some small spots to fix some scratches. Most of it didn't need any sanding at all. I had the whole cedar chest stripped and sanded in about 2 hours, then let it dry out for a week before applying several coats of wipe on poly. It came out so great that we have been using it for a coffee table in our livingroom.

A TIP - To restore the "cedar fresh smell" inside, don't put anything on it, just sand all the inside surfaces with a ROS and 100 grit paper. It will open fresh pores in the wood, remove the dirt, and expose fresh cedar sap.

Charley

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Biscuits - my kind of joint :) If Charley's suggestion on varnish remover doesn't work, perhaps you can talk Mac into running some of the doors through his new Woodmaster:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS