slotted beams

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Was in a cousin's old barn, built probably in early 1800's. Noticed that many of the 4x4 vertical supporting beams had slits/slots cuts on one side [though some beams had slots that alternated up on both sides. The horizontal cuts are about two inches deep from one side to the other. They are spaced about four feet apart, starting about knee high and going all the way up. In each of these cuts is a small sliver of wood - snugly fit & flush with the sides.
I wonder what the function would be. It's an old hay barn - wouldn't have been for decoration.

Would it allow the barn to sway with the wind? Stress relievers as the beams dried? My cousin thought the beams might have used, green.
His great grandfather was of German descent, if that helps any.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Ron, are these cuts like from a saw kerf? Or are they wider cuts like for some sort of joint? Do adjacent beams have the cuts line up? Maybe a picture would help.

Roy G

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a kerf, or courtesy cut to straighten the post (beams run horizontally).
Probably cut and wedged out like we used to do 2 x 4 studs before they were required to be air dried. They would buckle every which way. Of course, we would scab a 1 x 4 back on one side to prevent them from buckling.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Old school but a good method

Sounds like a kerf, or courtesy cut to straighten the post (beams run horizontally).
Probably cut and wedged out like we used to do 2 x 4 studs before they were required to be air dried. They would buckle every which way. Of course, we would scab a 1 x 4 back on one side to prevent them from buckling.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
The beams support the roof and hold up part of the upper floor. All vertical. These are the beams that run along either side of the entrance. Barn is two storeys tall.
...saw kerf....too regular to be anything else.
My cousin is an architect. I thought he'd know the function of them, but nope.
Will see about taking some photos.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Could they be a measuring aid? Like the height gauge by the convenience store door.
You could eyeball the volume of whatever is stored in the the barn.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could they be a measuring aid? Like the height gauge by the convenience store door.
You could eyeball the volume of whatever is stored in the the barn.
Doubtful they would have had to make a notch 2"deep just to measure hay. The old way to straighten studs was to either cut the high side and put in a toe nail through the cut, or cut the inside of the bow and drive in a wedge. I'd look for evidence of either.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
camera kept going out of focus or flash washed it out. don't think it as measurement b/c some slots where just under floor joists. The small slips of wood in the cuts are easily popped out, so if they were ever glued in place, the glue didn't hold. None of the horizontal or diagonal beams have these slits. and they are mostly in the bigger 6x6's & a few smaller sizes.

Attachments

• SAM_1001.JPG
    SAM_1001.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 120
  • SAM_0999.JPG
    SAM_0999.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I stand by my original assessment for now. There may be more to this mystery.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS