Sliding T Bevel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Here's another to ponder.
Christmas Day I received an email from one of my cousin's sons in CA. What are they anyway, second cousins? I never learned that progression. Anyway, his Dad gave him a Veritas with the flip lock and he was checking catalogs to see just how much the deal was worth and he noticed that all of the sliding bevel squares have a diagonal cut on the tang. He's too proud to ask his Dad, so he asked me why that was. So, I told him. I assume that we all know that answer, don't we?

Joe

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas and that you have a great New Year!

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't know for a fact, but I always assumed (bad thing, assuming) that it acts as a stop so the blade doesn't go all the way through the handle when you close it. If it were square on the end, then the hole in the handle would have to be square to the handle and the blade would go on through. With the diagonal on the blade and the diagonal cut in the handle the blade stops.

George

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
According to my trim man from the 60's (Pudge Pittman). it's so that you can slip onto a miter face with the blade/fence square, then change the angle to get the setup for the other miter cut. When cabinets were built in place they had to be square of course, for the drawers to fit, whereas the walls were seldom square.

Joe

Monty

New User
Monty
Sounds like a good technique to know, but I'll have to admit I'm having a little trouble picturing what you're describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS