Sliding rack for SCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Has anyone put their SCM on a slider? New DeWalt 735 planer is too wide for my combo table and I need a way (easy) to move the saw back when planing.

Joe

Attachments

• Works table 003.jpg
    Works table 003.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Works table 004.jpg
    Works table 004.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 277

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Joe, I had a similar problem in my shop. I solved it by making a platform that just dropped into the space in the bench for my miter saw. Actually, I have tow mitersaws and I built platforms for both of them that fit in the space in my bench. I attached French cleats on the back of each platform and hang them on the wall when I am through. I use the hole in my bench for other drop in tool operations.....

Monty

New User
Monty
I was gonna say that looks like a pretty straight shot, shouldn't be a problem, nice setup, etc. Then I looked back and realized this is all just a STEALTH GLOAT for your "New DeWalt 735".

I don't have any solutions or even any useful information for you, just wanted to say - enjoy your new toy -- err, um -- tool. :mrgreen:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
This Rigid is a little too heavy for me to pickup and hang on the wall many times. I was thinking of a TV drawer/hanger thing. But hoped that someone else had already been there, done that.

Joe

You think that DW735 is a gloat...you should see the pile of old growth walnut waiting for it!

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
I thought about using drawer slides, but getting the saw to return precisely back in line with your fence would be the biggest problem. I have seen someone do this, somewhere before. I'll see if I can find it...

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Joe,

I put my DBCMS on drawer slides so I could pull it out when needed and push it in when it is not needed. I can't say this is an ideal situation because the slides have movement side to side but I put a knob with a bolt through the base board which screwed into a t-nut which acted as a stop and it helped stablize it. There probably is a better way but you question was " has anybody ever done this?" The attached pic is not very clear but you can get the idea.

shoppics002.JPG

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Drawer slides crossed my mind too, and thanks for the response. I'd like to see a closeup of your lock knob setup if convenient. Without having tried it, I was afraid the whole thing would rock/rack.

Joe

Monty

New User
Monty
Here ya go, found one... Mr Mike

That's not the one I was thinking about, but it gives you another contact name to see how he did it.

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, I've finally found the one I was thinking of... it's on Bill Esposito's site. He just mounted the CMS to a plywood panel, and slid that back and forth on the lower shelf.

In use:

mstation15extended.jpg

Stored:

scmsstored.jpg

He just used a couple of wedges to limit forward travel of the saw platform, and to "lock" it in place by friction:

traylock.jpg

I think that is a really clever solution to the problem! That's what I was originally going to do in my shop, but I don't have a sliding CMS, so it's not necessary for me to be able to move the saw to keep it from sticking out over the edge of the counter.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
If you do decide to use drawer slides, you may want to get the heavy duty ones! From what I've heard that Ridgid SCMS is made out of lead! :) BTW, how do you like the Ridgid?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Thanks for the input guys. Now I've got some ideas to consider. And yes, the Rigid is a heavy one, but I bought it because I needed the long cutting reach for some barn doors on my garage. Since then I've cut some crown and picture frames and it has worked fine. I think its' sheer mass helps keep it in alignment.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors