Sliding Pantry Cabinet Shelves

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’m looking for input in sliding shelves for a pantry cabinet. Originally I planned to build the cabinet with fixed shelves, but realized how difficult it is to find things in the current pantry, so sliding shelves seem to offer a solution. Something like this image pulled from the web:

789883E9-5DC1-4C48-A6AF-8DB273BA385A.jpeg

Has anyone used something like the above? Wire shelves seem to offer the benefit of letting light through and I don’t have to build them.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
We have wooden sliding shelves in our 'pantry', very much like the pic you showed, but spaced a little closer together. Spacing of course determines what you can store on them, so it is great to have:
- a few shallow ones near the top (cans stored there - pretty standard height),
- one at least for height of bottles (think spaghetti sauce or salsa, or salad dressing) and
- at least one (lower one) that will hold taller bottles (olive oil). I consider them perfect for a pantry.
Just me, I have not had/used wire shelves, but I think I prefer wooden shelves

Kits are available for such things. Can't point to a link, but my contractor provided a few more kits when I asked for them - in case I wanted to add sliders to specific locations (we do, but I haven't done it yet)

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I built some for storage of pots and pans in the lower cabinets on each side of our stove. They look very similar to the ones in your picture; I made mine with 8mm Baltic Birch plywood about 1-1/2" high with finger joints on the corners and 6 mm BB plywood bottom in a rabbet brad nailed in place. I used full extension drawer pulls on blocks set to allow them through the cabinet face frame opening. Been in use for about 12 years with just a few coats of shellac on them.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We bought wire rack shelves at Lowes for canned goods, flour, sugar - they worked out REALLY well, I pulled the one for spices and "pouches" as they fell through the wire shelves, no matter if I lined the bottom, they found their way out! (in hindsight, I should have built a box to put inside the wire basket.)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I make these often for a cabinet shop who outsources their drawers. It is a shallow drawer box on slides closed with a cabinet door using zero clearance hinges. I use Blum soft close for both slides and hinges.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We have two in a lower kitchen cabinet, but not a pantry cabinet. I don't know what brand the slides are but they operate smoothly.

Attachments

• P1010031.png
    P1010031.png
    937 KB · Views: 199

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Any recommendations on where to buy hardware?

I’m leaning toward adjustable wood shelves with a sliding drawer based feedback that wire shelves have the “stuff falls out” issue!

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I make these often for a cabinet shop who outsources their drawers. It is a shallow drawer box on slides closed with a cabinet door using zero clearance hinges. I use Blum soft close for both slides and hinges.

Are you using this setup from blum?

With this bracket?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Ouch t
Are you using this setup from blum?

With this bracket?

Ouch, that is expensive but will work. Looks like the brackets are included in your first link. I purchase wholesale on a business account, that will be around $26. Just remember if you have normal cabinet door hinges and you mount the slides face-frame the drawer/sliding shelves will hit the door hinges. You need zero clearance hinges for the doors. Ping me and I will send you the Blum part numbers.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Ouch, that is expensive but will work. Looks like the brackets are included in your first link. I purchase wholesale on a business account, that will be around $26. Just remember if you have normal cabinet door hinges and you mount the slides face-frame the drawer/sliding shelves will hit the door hinges. You need zero clearance hinges for the doors. Ping me and I will send you the Blum part numbers.

Ouch! Is right!

I’ll probably use the wurth soft close slides at $9.65 for the 21”. They seem to operate smoothly and they’re heavy.

Thanks for the tip about zero clearance hinges. I looked those up, but I’m leaning toward butt hinges for the space. With inset doors I’m concerned I’ll lose some shelf space if I use the adjustable concealed style hinges or run the risk of pantry items hitting the hinge.

Attachments

• A9ABB698-FFC0-4768-968A-4146342AA5DC.jpeg
    A9ABB698-FFC0-4768-968A-4146342AA5DC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 193

gritz

New User
Robert
We got chromed metal ones at The Container Store on a 20% off deal. We love them. Cheaper than the materials to build using 100# slides and maple ply to match our cabinets.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
We got chromed metal ones at The Container Store on a 20% off deal. We love them. Cheaper than the materials to build using 100# slides and maple ply to match our cabinets.

Which chrome metal ones?

I may be missing something, but the only chromed metal organizer I found was a two tier for $69:

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Guess they don't have them now. Maybe that's why they were on sale a couple years ago. Ours were 20" wide

Perhaps you could pull one of the shelf’s out and take a pix further back and from one side.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS