Sliding leg vise with X cross

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This photo shows the first leg vise that I made (in 2010) and the latest one. I considered a sliding leg vise when I made the bench (2010) but dropped the notion because the parallel guide would have interfered with storage. The X cross mechanism doesn't protrude under the bench solving that problem.
image.jpeg

I made this latest vise as a proof of concept out of stuff that I had and plan on making a nicer one after a test period.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After sizing the chop and leg, the first step is mortises:
image.jpeg

Then 1/8" aluminum bearing strips.
image.jpeg

Drilling the X arms in a stack before cutting to shape.
image.jpeg

X arm subassemblies.
image.jpeg

Nut and load-bearing washer.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Nice! where did you get the hardware? Thanks.

Remember, this was stuff that I had and adapted the design to suit.

3/4“-5 Acme screw and brass nut from McMaster-Carr

3/4“ self-aligning bearing, R-12 and three R-6 radial bearings from The Big Bearing store

Tommy bar tee is ordinary 1/2” x 3/4” x 3/4“ iron pipe tee with threads drilled out

One X arm made from 5/32“ x 1-1/2“ mild steel and two arms from 1/4“x 1-1/2“ 6061 aluminum

1/4” brass rod, 3/8” Al rod, spring pin, and screws are hardware store items

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Thanks! Clever. I like your pragmatic, repurpose, and McGyver approach.

Ingrained, I’ll guess. As the oldest of 7 kids growing up on a small family farm in rural NY one learned to make do with whatever you had.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
There goes Mike showing off his vise building ability again! :) Very nice.

Well, maybe we can have another workshop someday - though I have yet to incorporate my leg vise into a bench.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice design. Thanks for sharing. I plan to make a sliding deadman for my bench, but after seeing this I may turn it into a sliding leg vise instead.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Nice design. Thanks for sharing. I plan to make a sliding deadman for my bench, but after seeing this I may turn it into a sliding leg vise instead.

The washer stack that I used to axially locate the cross was a major PITA. Today I replaced them with 3/4" wooden bushings (aka dowel with a drilled hole). This allows centering the cross arms before the glue sets.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In the pic above the bushings have not been trimmed flush.

Last edited:

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks! The JPEG works for me since it includes all the dimensions. I'm old school, so this is way more than I usually have to go with. I'll build a prototype out of 1/8" MDF or something similar for my own understanding, then go from there.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They might be a bit smaller but I've found fidget spinners usually have 4 ball bearings in each one that could possibly be incorporated into this. I found a shopping cart full of them some time back at Ollie's for <$1 each.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
They might be a bit smaller but I've found fidget spinners usually have 4 ball bearings in each one that could possibly be incorporated into this. I found a shopping cart full of them some time back at Ollie's for <$1 each.

Using ball bearings is not an absolute requirement. Commercial X cross products like Benchcrafted are steel/iron sliding on steel. This design reflects my personal vise design preferences and this tommy bar can easily be spun with one finger at the tee.

The SB204-12 self-aligning bearing in the chop is a press fit into a curved recess which transmits the screw force into the chop to clamp the work. Its inner race is set-screwed to the Acme screw which provides the garter function to open the chop when the screw is retracted.
2A8EEC07-8753-4BDF-82CA-43D860F89A0A.jpeg

The Acme screw slides inside the R12 bearing in the leg to stabilize the screw and reduce rattle (I detest vises that rattle).
image.jpeg

The three R6 bearings in the cross reduce friction and contribute to overall smoothness.

These five bearings currently cost less than $12 sans tax and postage.

Last edited:

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Great design! I've been kicking ideas around to build one myself for a while because I can't stomach the benchcrafted prices.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Great design! I've been kicking ideas around to build one myself for a while because I can't stomach the benchcrafted prices.

A couple of years back I built a portable vise using just the small Benchcrafted criss-cross. This link may give you an idea or two.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I am curious if there is a benefit in using the (3) plates as you have for the criss cross portion as opposed to using only (2) ?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS