Slicked up my holdfast/dog holes... boneheaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
So I've been working on this bench, and I applied a beeswax and BLO finish. I got some finish paste in the holdfast and bench dog holes I had drilled. I wiped it out by passing a paper towel through the holes, now my holdfast won't work in any of them doh! It's too slick.

PSA: Don't do that!

Am thinking I'll rough the holes with sandpaper and see if that does the trick. If not, scrub them with mineral spirits and a bottle brush. Open to suggestions though.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Instead of a bottle brush, try one of the wire brushes used to clean shot guns. Should be about the right size.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Two kids + cotton candy + 20 minutes. Everything in the shop will now support holdfasts :)

I would be careful with sand paper, you don't want to enlarge the hole. Mineral spirits or vinegar will help break things down. A little heat can also help soften the wax and make it easier to dissolve in the mineral spirits. Water + regular soap also works quite well. It raises the grain, which will help break the bonds the wax may have formed.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
So I've been working on this bench, and I applied a beeswax and BLO finish. I got some finish paste in the holdfast and bench dog holes I had drilled. I wiped it out by passing a paper towel through the holes, now my holdfast won't work in any of them doh! It's too slick.

PSA: Don't do that!

Am thinking I'll rough the holes with sandpaper and see if that does the trick. If not, scrub them with mineral spirits and a bottle brush. Open to suggestions though.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61716&highlight=holdfast

Hate to say told you so but I posted a do not do this earlier. Take a look. Clean the top and rough file the slick holdfasts. Should get you back.

It frustrating that's for sure.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You're not the first, and you probably will not be the last to have that problem. It may be frustrating to fix but if you're not laughing at yourself now, then you might in a few weeks. I truly wish you luck with it.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Haha Dan yeah you called it. Thanks for the advice all. I ended up scrubbing it w/ mineral spirits then a light touch with sandpaper on a dowel once it dried.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Haha Dan yeah you called it. Thanks for the advice all. I ended up scrubbing it w/ mineral spirits then a light touch with sandpaper on a dowel once it dried.

Richard
I forgot to mention another thing I did to get my holdfasts from Joel(TFWW) back to work. I rough filed the slick shafts and then I remembered and old rifle building trick: take a fat piece of chalk and go around the holes and a little up and down to get the chalk on the end grain part of the hole. It really helps get some friction going and it soaks up the wax and mineral spirits a bit.

I put chalk in my bench holes now and then to make the grab work. Others have recommended some adhesives but I didn't want them to become sticky. Might be worth a try in a couple holes to see if it helps your recovery.

later

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Gotcha. Do your holdfasts work now or do you need to rough up the metal shafts after cleaning the holes?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Richard
I forgot to mention another thing I did to get my holdfasts from Joel(TFWW) back to work. I rough filed the slick shafts and then I remembered and old rifle building trick: take a fat piece of chalk and go around the holes and a little up and down to get the chalk on the end grain part of the hole. It really helps get some friction going and it soaks up the wax and mineral spirits a bit.

I put chalk in my bench holes now and then to make the grab work. Others have recommended some adhesives but I didn't want them to become sticky. Might be worth a try in a couple holes to see if it helps your recovery.

later

I wonder if rosin bags, like basball players and weight lifter use, might work for this purpose too? Should make it easy to get the rosin on the holdfast shafts. Easy to come by too at sporting goods stores.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Jim I think the rosin bags would be a good substitute for the chalk. My granddaughter who spends a bunch of time at my house and in my shop is always painting or doing something with her pencils and chalk so I grabbed one and it seemed to work well when I was really frustrated at what I had done.

She doesn't mind the mess around her. She loves painting as you can see.

sept_12_015.JPG

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Gotcha. Do your holdfasts work now or do you need to rough up the metal shafts after cleaning the holes?

If the holdfast shafts are slick, just take some 80 grit sand paper , wrap around the shaft and then twist the shaft back and forth holding the sandpaper with your hand. You want the scratches going around the shaft, not along the length. Doesn't take much.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS