Slick clamp handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I'm having a heck of a time using hand screw clamps on my current project.

The handles are very smooth and as my hands sweat they slip on the handle.
What do you folks use to add some friction?
Thanks

Ken

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I roughed up the handles with 80 grit sandpaper, rubbing the handle in line with the handle rod.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Have a similar issue withe wooden handle Bessey's.

I just slip on a nitrile glove and all is well again.

Wayne

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Get a bicycle inner tube . Cut it in about 4-5" lenths. Dab some gorilla glue on the handle and pull the inner tube over the handle

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Keep a piece of the rubber shelf liner to use for this purpose. Same stuff as router mats, but only a dollar at Dollartree.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
If you use the same tape they use on hockey sticks it work out well in that it has that tackiness that will give you a good hold when tightening.
Just a couple of wraps around each handle and you're done.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
All good suggestions, I've also found lubricating the clamp screw helps. I used chain lube sold in bicycle shops- wax based, dries with no mess, doesn't turn black with use. After seeing it on the first couple clamps I applied it to all my clamps, vises, door hinges and a noisy dog.
Mike

ste6168

New User
Mike
Disclaimer- I have never tried this on a clamp handle, BUT I played hockey growing up, and have taped up my sticks hundreds of times for extra grip. I am certain you could apply a similar technique to your clamp handles. A roll of hockey tape is pretty cheap.

Troy%20Riddle%20hockey%20stick%203.JPG

[video=youtube;JDmkSfMfEzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmkSfMfEzc[/video]

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I normally don't have a problem as I normally have a handful of glue during glue up....Just be clumsy like me....

KC7CN

New User
Don
All good suggestions, I've also found lubricating the clamp screw helps....
Mike

I have some small Bessy clamps that I was ready to toss! They just didn't work worth a darn! Lubricated the clamp screws with Silicon spay - problem solved!

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The best finish is NO FINISH. Sand off the existing finish. If you really want a finish, boiled linseed oil is what most use on wooden tool handles. Wipe it on, let is set 15-20 minutes and wipe dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS