Sky lights

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thinking ahead to summer and the radiant heat that comes via the six sky lights in the ceiling of the s'hanger. Anyone have experience with this material:

Thoughts?

I would put them on in the spring and pull them off in the fall. Also, would have to chose to glue the snaps on or screw them. Not sure how the glue would work for a roof application and not sure I want more holes in the roof steel.

TIA

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I wouldn't. Especially the ones with the snaps on the side. Heat and cooling (expansion and contraction) I think would lead to failure in the roof seal within a couple of years. I'd also be leery of the need to climb on the roof twice every year to use the solution. And lastly button snaps don't usually hold up long term in high heat/humidity situations IMHO..

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
When my wife was still on this great earth Gene she took a fabic similar to a screen porch roll up shade and made it to fit the Skylights. We installed it with small spring tensioned curtain rodson the inside of the skylight.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
These are surface mounts, i.e., take out a section of the sheetmetal roof and insert the light panel. No frame. Just a translucent roof panel. I'll go take a picture and post it later today.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
If you go with these please post how it goes. I have skylights in my shop and kinda wish now I didn't. The power bills in the summer are much more than the winter so some relief would be welcome.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
How about using fabric from a room-darkening window shade? Maybe attach some wood to the roof metal with construction adhesive and staple the shade fabric to that. I would fasten the sides only and leave the top and bottom open to let the heat out.

Last edited:

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
These are surface mounts, i.e., take out a section of the sheetmetal roof and insert the light panel. No frame. Just a translucent roof panel. I'll go take a picture and post it later today.
In that case I would look at pop riveting some button snaps from the top side to the underside of the roof, caulking the hell out of the rivets on the top side of the roof with some black silicon (more resistant to UV), and making some corresponding white shades that attach under the skylights to the snaps that you can attach and detach by step ladder as the seasons change.

Heck, when you pull them down at the end of summer when it's cooling off you could have a second set of "shades" that you just connect to the snaps on one side of the skylight that hang down into the ceiling area and are black so you could get even more heat in the winter from the sun.

One time on top of the roof, the rest of the time a ladder safely on the ground.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's an older pic from move-in day.
Notice the roof insulation goes right up to the light panel.

Attachments

• Move-in.jpeg
    Move-in.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 72

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have had jobs where this was used, we never got call backs so I guess that is a positive. I do know 3M is excellent on their material science and would consider heat /cold expansion / contraction in the making of the product.
The Window films also resist heat loading from the sun, you might look and compare this to the film's performance

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS