Skewed chisel edge with honing guide

Ericlassiter18

New User
Eric Lassiter
I recently bought a new veritas side clamping honing jig, and it can never seem to get me a square edge on my narex richter chisels. I’ve switched over to doing it by hand and it’s helping a little, just a bigger learning curve. Regardless, still wanted to check on any ideas why the honing guide isn’t giving a square edge?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It could be the guide or it could be the operator. I have seen the guide you are using but my real cheap one that I don’t use often can give you a skewed edge if you apply pressure on one side over the other. You could be doing that and not noticing. Just food for thought.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
It takes a little practice. But it is good enough I dumped all my other sharpening systems. Stick with it. I only have one Richter and so far, only a few strops.

If a dead strait edge ( down to 1200, so pretty course) I can let you have my M-Power jig cheap.

Now you know what cheap chisels are good for. Practice.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That clamp should hold the chisel square, but you may want to check it with a small machinist's square.
If it is in fact square then the problem has to be an unequal amount of pressure exerted on one side of the clamp as you are honing. The roller is narrower than the clamp to allow for crowning plane blades and if you press down with one hand more than the other consistently the chisel will become skewed.

Be sure to hold firmly but not excessively with both hands equally. Check often with a small square to be sure you are on track.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I would say slightly less than firm. Even, but easy. Be sure the height of your table makes it comfortable. I have about a 6 inch box that sits on the counter top so I stay in alignment naturally.

I also have the fancy kit with the crowned roller for plane blades. I think it is too much and so far, just rock a little on the flat roller. Every time is still a learning experience.

Ericlassiter18

New User
Eric Lassiter
It takes a little practice. But it is good enough I dumped all my other sharpening systems. Stick with it. I only have one Richter and so far, only a few strops.

If a dead strait edge ( down to 1200, so pretty course) I can let you have my M-Power jig cheap.

Now you know what cheap chisels are good for. Practice.
Yeah I think if I can get to doing it well without a jig It will make things a lot simpler

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sharpening jigs are like training wheels..... that some of us who sharpen infrequently never get past!

Signed: Proud Founding Member of the 'Training Wheels Users Club of America' (TWUCA for those in the know!)
Yes, it makes sharpening a "more" mindless process than sharpening free-hand... (not completely mindless, but if the jig can hold your blade securely, the sharpening angle is maintained...)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS