Skew Size and Brand Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I am thinking about picking up a regular skew for spindle/flute work. I saw the video by John Lucas on Woodturners Resource last night and it helped me a lot....I was wondering what size to get first. I have an oval skew already but wanted to try a regular one like John used in the video. I thought maybe 3/4" but wondered if 1" would serve me better?

And what brands are favored? I have no grinder at this time to sharpen one but might pick up one in the future and that would be something else to learn how to do so I would like my first one to come ready to use ...Thanks !!!!

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
I really like my Sorby tools. Where I have duplicates in some lesser tools I can tell the length of time they stay sharp is longer. I have 3/4" and it seems a little small, go with the 1".

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
iahve a oval sorby that works well but for some things tha flat just works better. check out packard woodworks they are here in n.c order one day have it the next with excellent service and fair prices thry all popular brand i have had good results with their brand.

packardwoodworks.com

cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors