SketchUp Users: A Challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gotta play with the dovetail layouts yet. I need a refresher about that (Design, Click, Build blog at FWW?).

The current refresher for me is accurately placing the nut on the dowel pin without the nut wandering all over the screen and being off center. So I reset the axes on both the pin and nut for the "snap to" insertion points. I couldn't figure out how to show that in pic 2.

DR:box.jpg

Dowel:nut.jpg

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Dave,

What program/programs do you use for your renderings? I use Shaderlight, which gives pretty good results, but I'm interested in how you got the darkened end grain.

K

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
It's always something, ain't it Matt? :D

Jeff, nice work. You're getting there but I bet we'll be able to make it easier for you. Excellent approach for drawing the nut. I think for a one-off nut, my approach is a little easier.

Kevin, I have been using Kerkythea for years and I like it very much. It doesn't work directly inside of SketchUp but I'm fine with that. There's an exporter that sends the file to Kerkythea from SketchUp and I can get a render started and go back to work on the SketchUp file or perhaps another one. I don't do an awful lot of rendering and most of the renders are done using the "clay" setting. I just use that to get reflections and soft shadows as in this image:

The materials and edges come directly out of SketchUp. I don't do very many images like the first one in this thread.

Since there seem to be no other takers for the moment, should we consider the challenge completed or are there others who want to give it a try? If there aren't any others still working on it, I'll give some hints on how I did it. I am wondering if those who participated would be interested in joining me for a GoToMeeting session where we can all chat and I can share my desktop. There's a limit to the number of participants I can have but for those who've chimed in already, I think we can mange it.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
The GoToMeeting session sounds cool.

For a simple first challenge I learned several new things. I am looking forward to the next challenge.

red f

New User
Blaine
I did this project as well. I enjoyed it and also realized a couple of places that I could use some improvement. And you had to throw in that chamfer.

Its great to have you on here and I've really enjoyed your posts on FWW.

Attachments

• Sample Box.bmp
    628.2 KB · Views: 135

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Here's my first shot at SketchUp. It's a Kindle stand that's angled to keep the overhead fluorescent lights off the screen. I built one out of cardboard, and it works great. If I can figure out how to safely make a cut at 53°, I may actually build this one as a beginner project. The exciting part is that I have already worked out several problems I would have encountered if I had started building without doing the layout.

Kindle Stand.jpg

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very good Mike. So now building it in the shop will be almost like building it for the second time.

This is why I like using sketchup. You can work through all the joinery and dimensions and find problem areas before you ever cut the first board.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Well done, Mike. You got the hang of the angle layouts pretty quickly. It's neat that SU allows you to tweak the design for form, function, and appearance before making sawdust. The complement to 53 degrees is 37 degrees so you can use either one on the table saw.

Here's my first shot at SketchUp. It's a Kindle stand that's angled to keep the overhead fluorescent lights off the screen. I built one out of cardboard, and it works great. If I can figure out how to safely make a cut at 53°, I may actually build this one as a beginner project. The exciting part is that I have already worked out several problems I would have encountered if I had started building without doing the layout.

View attachment 8887

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'd be happy to pay someone who is proficient with SketchUp to do a drawing for me with dimensions and a cut list for the Adirondack swing I build. I'd love to have a drawing to go by!! Any takers, PM me and I'll sent you a pic and some dimensions!

:wsmile:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Jack, I could probably do it although I've got about 6 projects in front right now that I have to do. I've been up since 5 this morning working on one.:rolleyes:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Hopefully it's okay to use this thread for ongoing SketchUp questions. If not, I'll start a new one.

When I try to get rid of the line in the bottom curve in this drawing:

001.jpg

Here's what I get:

002.jpg

Other similar lines erased without a problem. What am I doing wrong?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Sure. It's OK to ask here.

So when you erase that edge you're erasing one used to create a face. Instead, hold Ctrl while clicking on the edge with the Eraser. (Option on Mac) This will soften the edge.

If you go to View>Hidden Geometry and then zoom in on the curved surface, you'll see it is really made up of smaller faces with the edges between them softened. As you may have noticed, SketchUp represents curved edges with a series of short, straight line segments. It represents curved surfaces like yours with a series of small faces.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
So what if we were to do a live session on Saturday morning? How many takers would we get? We'd shoot for an hour or so over coffee.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I'm afraid that we are going to be out of town, up in the NC mountains where I have virtually no internet connection. I hate to miss this, but if something successful can be put together, I would still be interested in future meetings.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS