Sketchup question

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'm sure there is an easy way to do this. Please tell me what it is!
How do you place evenly space dividers in aa frame like the one pictured?
I figured it out manually but surely there must be an easier way to do it.
Like, say I wanted to change it from 3 sections to 5.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 169

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Sketchup offers a way to do what you want, almost. But you can scam the system to get what you want by using the following sequence. Draw an object. Copy that object to another location. Immediately type, say, /5 into the dialogue box. This will place 4 copies of the item evenly spaced between the first and last in the series (making 5 even spaces). In your case you will need to draw the desired 1.5" wide box over the leftmost 2 inch one, flush to the right side and copy to the rightmost box flush to its left side. Then type /3 and delete the 1.5 inch boxes you don't want.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I wouldn't call it "scamming the system" to get this done. Rick has given you the basics, though. A little refinement, though. Use Move copy to move a copy of the first upright to the far end of the run, hit Enter and then type /n, Enter where n is the number of spaces between the elements. If you want five panels, type /5 Enter. This will place 5 additional copies of the element for a total of six. If you are copying the upright post, stile, whatever it is, this gives you space for five panels.

If you just want to add more panels and uprights to what you have, you can copy the end ones using the existing spacing as a guide.

You shouldn't need to do any erasing or other gymnastics to get it done.

Last edited:

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I'll admit that Dave explained the process more clearly that I did, however I think the extra stile and subsequent erasure are still required since the end stiles in PeteM's figure are not the same width as the interior ones. Or you could make all of the stiles 1.5" them modify the end ones after the fact.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Rick and Dave. Thank you both! It's easy once you know how!

It's called a "linear array" in SketchUp jargon and Dave will be happy to show you how to do it in person. Your first and fourth dividers are 2"w and the second and third ones are 1.5" so there's a little extra manipulation to get those adjusted from 2" w.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
It's called a "linear array" in SketchUp jargon and Dave will be happy to show you how to do it in person. Your first and fourth dividers are 2"w and the second and third ones are 1.5" so there's a little extra manipulation to get those adjusted from 2" w.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the offer but there's no need for an "in-person" lesson I found it easy to figure out once I knew about the "/n" option.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS