Sjorberg Bench or something different?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
And don't forget your 20% off coupon @HF...

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've looked at and been tempted by the HF bench, but ultimately the top is really thin and it's fairly shakey. The trim on the edges make the top look a lot thicker than it really is. By the time you rebuild it so the top is thicker, fix the rickedy drawers, add plywood or such to steady it up and maybe install a better vise you could build a better one from scratch for about the same money and less effort.

bandaideman

New User
Dan
I bought one years ago at HF went together well and has moved from Indiana to here. It is pretty strudy I do have a tool box on it. wood or tools underneath. It has served me well and will continue to as far as I can see. For what I use it for I am happy. It was long enough ago it was on sale for under 99 dollars and had coupon as well.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Its really crappy quality for a main bench. Would be good for my midi lathe and grinder though.

I agree but I thought it could be a short term solution until you could find what you really want.

FWIW.... There is a flea market in Selma that had multiple antique benches a while back. One had a nice Columbian vise attached. They were in various conditions and all were awesome. Might be your thing.... Maybe not.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Actually I would just build what you want. You can get 2x4 or 2x 6 Beech or Maple, both are pretty cheap. Could add color with Paduk or Saplele. Both are hard and not expensive. Then, just mimic what you want. It will take a couple of weekends to build. Remember that you want the bottom section to be removable , will make it easier to move. And, make sure the legs are in plane with the table edge skirt board.

Then the rest is pretty much up to you on how you want to customize.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Actually I would just build what you want. ...
Bill, the OP, has been pretty clear that he doesn't have time to build and therefore wants/needs to buy one. So while I might take your advice (if I ever get beyond my slab on a steel table 'bench') Bill will not likely take this route.

Last edited:

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Oka said:
Actually I would just build what you want. You can get 2x4 or 2x 6 Beech or Maple, both are pretty cheap. Could add color with Paduk or Saplele. Both are hard and not expensive. Then, just mimic what you want. It will take a couple of weekends to build. Remember that you want the bottom section to be removable , will make it easier to move. And, make sure the legs are in plane with the table edge skirt board. Then the rest is pretty much up to you on how you want to customize.

Are you offering to build this, or are you trying to convince me to do it?

OP, lots of people have spent the time researching craigslist and other deals, as well as new benches. I think there's enough information here for you to make an informed decision. I don't think Oka is offering to build it for you however, his time is as valuable to him as yours is to you.....

Billm0066

Bill
User
Oka said:
Actually I would just build what you want. You can get 2x4 or 2x 6 Beech or Maple, both are pretty cheap. Could add color with Paduk or Saplele. Both are hard and not expensive. Then, just mimic what you want. It will take a couple of weekends to build. Remember that you want the bottom section to be removable , will make it easier to move. And, make sure the legs are in plane with the table edge skirt board. Then the rest is pretty much up to you on how you want to customize.

Are you offering to build this, or are you trying to convince me to do it?

OP, lots of people have spent the time researching craigslist and other deals, as well as new benches. I think there's enough information here for you to make an informed decision. I don't think Oka is offering to build it for you however, his time is as valuable to him as yours is to you.....

Which i have done. Starting this thread is part of my research. I'm not sure I understand your point in all honesty, sorry... I asked questions, stated what I needed, some offered advice I wasn't looking for that I specified a couple times. I spent a good amount of time searching various forums about buying a bench and the same thing happens on all of them. A couple posts offering advice, and then a large percentage talking about building something yourself. It's why I mentioned it up front..

I will have my bench sorted in the next few days. I'm good now.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I drove to VA beach and picked up the sjoberg. 361lbs and its very sturdy. Top and frame are insanely high quality. Vises are excellent and so are all accessories. Cabinet is lower quality than I expected. Drawers have the cheapest slides ive ever seen. No dovetails just connectors like ikea uses. It will still work well, just surprised at the original cost. The guy paid $3,300 for this thing new and didnt use it and i got it for $1,200. I could have built one for cheaper but not much and the drive took me six hours instead of dozens building one. I would love to make it mobile somehow but with its weight I dont know if a product that can support it. I want to make a fold up table behind it if I need more space for glue ups. I can worry about that later. If anyone is considering a sjoberg skip the cabinet unless you really dont want to make one. You can build one much better for a lot less money.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad that you found what you were looking for. Go to the Stumpy Nubs channel on Youtube, and you'll see a recent video about how James made his Sjoberg bench mobile.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS