sizing dowels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglord

New User
John
Have you ever had trouble getting dowels to fit in what should be the appropriate size hole?

Well, Bill Anderson (wanderson) showed me how to deal with the problem and I've copied his set-up.

DSC_0055.jpg

The photo shows a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate mounted to a cherry base designed to be clamped into a wooden bench vice. The base is configured to allow one to drive a dowel through the appropriate sizing hole, while transferring the force to the bench top, neatly trimming the dowel to fit in a hole of the same size.

This is truly an example of cutting to size and hammering to fit.:rolf:

Drawings are available, PM me for a set to be sent snail mail.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
That is really neat! I was wondering where to get a dowel plate too. A refinishing speaker at the TWA meeting talked about doing it like that. Thanks for sharing!

Amy

J

jeff...

And who says a sq peg will not fit in a round hole? pretty cool idea, I could imagine myself with a pocket knife a chunk of wood and a rubber mallet. Of course my theory is if a hammer can't fix it, it's not broken.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The trouble with commercial dowels is they are made by passing between two moulding heads. Kinda like a pair of round nose router bits, only MUCH larger. That is why they aren't round. Often, you can feel the ridges where cutters met. Plus moisture causes the wood to expand across the grain.

T

toolferone

As nice as the picture is it is better in person, but I am very biased towards cherry.

jglord

New User
John
Thanks Tom!

It is stored in the Lie-Nielsen display cabinet between uses at the Raleigh Woodcraft store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS